With great power tools come great responsibility, and chainsaws are right at the top of that list. If your occupation involves working with tools like these, you run the risk of injury, so you must realize that YOU are what is most important. You. Safety means YOU first. To do this, you must gear up with these three factors in mind: Safety, comfort, and reliability.
Above these, the need for practicality cannot be overstated. In occupations such as logging, landscaping, farming, and grounds maintenance, where chainsaws help you do your job, chainsaw chaps should be a part of your protective gear, along with your helmet, goggles, and gloves.
We have compiled seven of the best chaps for your chainsaws and this is the review you need to read.
- Our Top Chainsaw Chaps Are:
- 1. Husqvarna Technical Apron Wrap Chap
- 2. Husqvarna 531309565 Chainsaw Apron Chaps
- 3. Forester Chainsaw Apron Chaps with Pocket
- 4. STIHL 0000 886 3202 36-Inch Protective Apron Chainsaw Chaps
- 5. WoodlandPro Chainsaw Safety Chaps
- 6. Labonville Full-Wrap Chainsaw Safety Chaps
- 7. Makita 841008-A Chain Saw Chaps
- Buying Guide
- Final Thoughts
Our Top Chainsaw Chaps Are:
|1. Husqvarna Technical Apron Wrap Chap||Check Current Price|
|2. Husqvarna 531309565 Chainsaw Apron Chaps||Check Current Price|
|3. Forester Chainsaw Apron Chaps with Pocket||Check Current Price|
|4. STIHL 0000 886 3202 36-Inch Protective Apron Chainsaw Chaps||Check Current Price|
|5. WoodlandPro Chainsaw Safety Chaps||Check Current Price|
|6. Labonville Full-Wrap Chainsaw Safety Chaps||Check Current Price|
|7. Makita 841008-A Chain Saw Chaps||Check Current Price|
Made for the outdoor worker as well as the homeowner who uses any type of chainsaw, this innovation from Husqvarna is tough gear for tough jobs. It is made with PVC coated denier polyester with Tek warp protective layers that are meant to minimize the severity of an injury while giving you more time to react when accidents occur.
Shrouded in cut retardant material, these protective chaps are designed to open up and clog up the chainsaw’s sprocket system and stop or slow down the machine. Husqvarna chaps also feature adjustable waist sizes, acetyl Delran buckles, and pockets for extra gear.
- Product descriptions: 12.8 x 4 x 13 inches
- 1000 denier polyester with PVC coating and Tek warp protective layers
- Adjustable waist size to 42 inches. Overall length is from the waist to the ankle
- Felling wedge/gear pocket and acetyl Delran buckles
- Meets ASTM F1897, ANSI Z133.1, And OSHA regulation 1910-266
- Ul certified
- Made of innovative, cut-retardant material
- Maximum visibility
- Strong, adjustable buckles
- Guaranteed comfort
- Adjustable waist size
- Multiple straps
- Full range of motion
- Excellent brush protection
- A bit heavy to wear so not at the most comfortable in hotter conditions
- Not compatible with 36-38″ inseams as advertised
While you may not favor protective chainsaws chaps over other numerous safety procedures, chainsaw use is a high-risk activity, and requires every level of protection necessary.
The Husqvarna 587160704 Technical Apron Wrap Chap provides adequate cover in its fullest capability, and is the overall best companion for your outdoor activity.
On account of how good Husqvarna products are, we are reviewing another product from the brand, this time in 600 Denier. Never compromising on your protection, this product features 5 layers of Kevmalimot yellow line protective material. Between you and me, most products from Husqvarna are set up to ensure you saw like a Pro, in maximum and guaranteed safety too.
- Meets ASTM F1897, ANSI Z133.1 and is UL Certified
- Meets OSHA Regulation 1910-266
- Hand Wash and Hang to Dry
- Available in Blue, Black and Grey colors
- Five layers of protective polyester fabric
- Easy to wear, dry and use
- Material designed to clog working chainsaws
- Contains Kevmalimot protective material
- The Cut of the chap may not provide adequate coverage for your thighs
- You may need to replace the buckle straps with 4” wide elastic as these are way more functional
Tried, tested, and trusted to be true, Husqvarna is a manufacturer you can absolutely rely on for all woodwork and similar outdoor activities. They have the supernatural ability to make a tedious and dangerous job like sawing that much easier and safer.
The difference between these and our overall best is that these are slightly cheaper and don’t provide coverage for your calves or the back of your thighs. Hence, if you don’t need protection from behind, save a few bucks and get the 531309565s.
Aptly named Forester in case you need extra assurance of its reliability for your many sojourns into the woods, this product comes with certified and adequate coverage for your legs and in multiple sizes for your selecting choices.
Unlike most gear, it is lightweight and won’t slow you down when the sun comes pouring in. Also, we have tested this product and found it to be really useful for cutting wood.
- Meets ASTM F1897, OSHA 1910.266, UL Certified
- Not suitable for use with electric chainsaws
- See description for sizing information
- “Apron style” chaps protect only the front of both legs (most common injury area)
- Size: Regular 37″
- Color: Orange
- Multiple sizes
- Lightweight yet durable
- Sleek design
- Water and oil resistant
- Maximum comfort
- Not compatible with electric chainsaws
- The wrap around is small, and it tends to twist/turn a little during use
- Plastic buckles loosen easily unless you wrap at least thrice, thus preventing wood chips from getting into your pants/shoes
Sawing wood just got better with the Forester Chainsaw Apron Chaps in a bright, welcoming orange. Remember that accidents are called accidents because nobody ever knows when they will occur. Be prepared and stay prepared.
If you like deep pockets, this one is for you. What’s more, it has an advantage over most other protective chaps because it allows for a wide range of waist sizes from 30 to 42 inches. These rugged yet uber-comfortable protective chaps features a deep cargo pocket on the front, as well as 6 or 9 layers of Entex cut-retardant material.
Overall, this is a quality construction likely to last for a long time and give you extra layers of confidence and safety for all sorts of herculean chainsaw activities.
- Product dimensions: 14.2 x 10 x 4.3 inches
- 36-Inch length, 36-Inch waist; orange color
- Deep cargo pocket on the front
- Protective Entex cut-retardant material
- For heavyweight protection; Rugged, yet comfortable to wear; Open-back design for hot working conditions
- 6 Layers of protective retardant material
- Lightweight, reliable and rugged feel
- Adjustable to fit most waist sizes
- Top-notch quality and amazing value
We totally recommend that you spend that extra buck on a product that can take a good beating every time it is called upon, will be with you for the long haul, and is able to offer peak safety at all times. This product from Stihl may be a little pricey, but it is worth every penny.
Woodland Pro Chainsaw Safety Chaps comfortably bridges the gap between affordability and functionality in regular sizing. Layered with Kevlar protection which are usually used for bulletproof vests, one can only imagine the layers of protection Kevlar would offer you against the wrath of a chainsaw blade. Tailored to fit many waist types, these chaps come in at least four different sizes, including adjustable straps.
- Regular sized
- Standard color: Green
- Kevlar protection
- Available in four different sizes
- Extra layers of Kevlar protection against cuts and bruises
- Easily adjustable
- Reasonably priced
- Price does not hamper on safety and/or functionality
- A little too thick for hotter weather conditions
We hope you never have to see this for yourself, but this product’s most distinguishing feature is its Kevlar protection which is defensive against a chainsaw blade. The need for protection can never be overemphasized when using chainsaws and Woodland allows for that much-needed extra layer of protection.
This is a pretty decent and regular product for its money, reasonably priced and offering just as much protection for your thighs as well as the lower part of your legs.
- Product dimensions: 14 x 11 x 3 inches
- Full protection in regular orange
- Chap Overall Length: Reg 32″, Long 36″, X-Long 40″, 2X-Long 44″
- Adjustable Waist Belt Size: 26″ to 48″
- Full, hands-on protection
- Great value yet cost-effective
- Comes in five different sizes
- Offers protection for your lower legs
- Product is listed by the same name as Labonville’s premium spec chaps when in fact, these are in the 6-ply grade category
This product is as concise as they come, hence you should pay attention to their specific size instructions. Otherwise, the Labonville Full-Wrap Chainsaw Safety Chaps are a decent, loyal friend bereft of complexities or unnecessary “drama.”
Perhaps, the color orange is popular amongst chainsaw caps and we agree that this is so because orange is a commonly used color for safety procedures. Cover yourself with up to 38 Inches of Protection with these orange, reusable, safety chainsaw chaps with a brand name that resembles a character from an anime. We love to see it!
- Product dimensions: 15.9 x 11.9 x 0.7 inches
- 38-Inch Chain Saw Chaps
- Standard color: Orange
- Comfortably built to withstand hotter weather conditions
- Polyester build
- At its best, its performance is not spectacular
Although a fairly new introduction to the market, Makita is a popular manufacturer of chainsaws and this less expensive variant is a great beginner’s start to sawing in the woods or anywhere else. Also, it is one of the most comfortable chaps around.
Hopefully, by now, you have a better, well-informed idea on the sort of protection you need in a chainsaw safety chap but that’s not all. What makes a chainsaw chap a good chap? Check out our buying guide below!
The first thing you need to consider is the fact that not all chainsaw chaps are compatible with all chainsaws types, for instance, the electric chainsaw is particularly selective and requires products made exclusively for electric chainsaws.
Chainsaw Chaps work the same way as your regular pants, one size will not fit all. When determining your size, measure from your waistline all the way down to your instep to ensure that your entire front is covered including the tops of your shoes to avoid sawdust.
Pay attention to all the rules of the game, and these include the various safety regulations and certifications required to give your chainsaw cap the necessary go-ahead. These include safety certifications like UL, OSHA, ASTM, ANSI, and various others. Do not compromise on checking out these factors.
Apron vs. Wrap Around Chaps
In case you ever wondered, apron-style chaps don’t provide protection for your calves while wrap-arounds cover your calves as well as your thighs and shins.
You may improvise on the apron-style chaps by getting safety chainsaw trousers although these can get really uncomfortable in the summer.
It is one thing to go on a buying spree for chainsaw chaps, and another to actually get around to wearing them. While we earnestly hope you never have to see for yourself the value of a chainsaw chap especially as its usually similar to a near-death experience, protection against injuries ranging from mere cuts to acute Is something you can’t compromise on.
Throw these on alongside a helmet, steel-toed boots, leather gloves, safety goggles, sound suppressors, and a protective jacket to beef up your personal protection equipment (PPE) and saw on to safety!
Hey, does this sound a little uncomfortable? We cannot guarantee that you won’t feel a little faint wearing all that gear especially in hot weather, but while working with power equipment, we can all agree that this is the BETTER decision.
So check out our recommendations, especially the Husqvarna Technical Apron Chaps, our top pick.