Last Updated: by
Finding the best chainsaw doesn’t have to be rocket science. With so many ideal options out there equipped with the features you need to get the job done quickly and efficiently, you shouldn’t have a hard time narrowing down your choices. But let us help you out some more through this article. Read on to know which of the chainsaws out there we highly recommend.
- Best Chainsaw 2020 Reviews
- Which One Should You Get?
- What You Should Look For When Finding the Best Chainsaw
- Chainsaw Alternatives
Best Chainsaw 2020 Reviews
We only chose the best of the best. Here are the products you should get your hands on:
- Black + Decker LCS1020 20V Max Lithium Ion Chainsaw
- Husqvarna 120 Lightweight 16 Inch Bar Gas Powered Chainsaw
- Dewalt DCCS620B 20V MAX XR Compact 12-inch Cordless Chainsaw
- Worx WG304.1 Chain Saw 18-Inch
Find out below what makes these chain saws a great buy:
1. Black + Decker LCS1020 20V Max Lithium Ion Chainsaw
This 10-inch chainsaw can get most cutting work done. The blade length is more capable of accomplishing deeper cuts. It runs on 20V of Lithium Ion for reliable and portable power. It holds a charge well and has a run time that is longer than many of its competitors. One of its remarkable features is its tensioning system that doesn’t require any tool. This makes way for faster and easier adjustment of the tension.
It has a unique oiling system to keep the bar and the chain properly lubricated. It allows for smooth and seamless functionality of the chainsaw. With only 7.2 pounds of weight, you can easily maneuver it. It is also a great tool to use if you want to eliminate hand fatigue.
- Because it is battery-operated, it starts up easily. Even novice users will be able to use and handle this chainsaw easily.
- The tool-less functionality is useful. You don’t need to bring extra tools to make it work. Its self-tensioning system is a convenient feature for those who just want to dispense with the need to bring other tools.
- A lot of customers can attest to how sturdy it is. The metal is rigid but the plastic balances it out to create a tool that is not too heavy nor too light. Because it is lightweight, it can also be used by people who have issues carrying heavy loads.
- It is easy to control. Users said they feel safe using it. Adjusting the chain is a one-step process, so if it is starting to come loose, you can easily adjust it to the right tension level. Its cordless functionality also allows users to maneuver it in any direction they want.
It also works quieter than the gas-operated one.
- There were some issues about the oil system. Some said the lubricating system is difficult to feed.
2. Husqvarna 120 Lightweight 16 Inch Bar Gas Powered Chainsaw
Everything about this chainsaw screams quality. It has an X-Torq engine that is the best when it comes to fuel consumption. It doesn’t use up a lot of fuel and it prevents excessive exhaust emission. You can use it without worrying about making a big negative impact to our environment.
The Air Injection feature of this chainsaw is something you can’t see elsewhere. It has a Centrifugal Air Cleaning System that prevents big debris from getting in your chainsaw. This makes it easier to keep the chainsaw clean and also prevents it from reaching the internal air filter where debris might inflict a lot of damage. You can eliminate the need for multiple air filter cleanings and also prolong the life of your chainsaw’s engine.
- This unit works quieter than many fuel-operated chainsaws out there. In fact, it has internal functionalities that prevent it from vibrating too much. As a result, it reduces hand fatigue when using it for long hours.
- Even beginners will find this chainsaw easy to use. It has a start and stop switch as well as a smart start function.
- Maintenance is easier. Bigger debris won’t get inside the system because of its centrifugal air system. That means you can keep the inside clean and prolong the life of the engine.
- It doesn’t emit harmful gases that can damage the environment.
- All the parts of this chainsaw are reliable and durable. It also comes with a blade cover and the chain is made from good quality materials.
- It doesn’t take a genius to figure out how to do this. It also has a good weight that won’t cause hand strain even when you use it for a long time.
- Some said it can be difficult to start but that is a common problem with a gas-operated chainsaw. What can be done is to allow it to run for a few minutes to let it acclimate before running it completely.
3. Dewalt DCCS620B 20V MAX XR Compact 12-inch Cordless Chainsaw
Powered by 20V of Lithium Ion batteries, this is a handy cordless chainsaw that you can bring with you anywhere. You don’t have to worry about finding a power source because it is already included. That means there is no downtime as long as you have the batteries to power it up.
This unit has one of the best brushless motors around. It works in prolonging the run time for every battery charge. You can also be assured that the battery will last for a long time. With its 25.2 ft/s of chain speed, you can get more work down in a shorter period of time.
- One of the things we like about this chainsaw is its low kickback operation. This makes it easier no matter what construction setting you are in.
- The tensioning system and bar tightening knob require no other tool. It is convenient to use as you don’t need to bring other tools anymore.
- It is very portable as it is lightweight and has a compact design. With only 8.8 lbs. of weight, this is one of the easiest chainsaws to use out there because of how lightweight it is. It also promotes easy maneuverability and good comfort.
- It is quite efficient. Some even said they tend to forget adding bar oil because there is no need to refuel.
- You will like how quietly this unit operates. It is not stressful to use and doesn’t irritate the nerves and the ears. Some even said they did not need to use earplugs.
- Perhaps one of its most pressing problems is its bar oil that some people said tends to leak.
4. Worx WG304.1 Chain Saw 18-Inch
Whether this is your first time using a chainsaw or not, it is still something you can rely on. It takes pride in its lightweight construction coupled with an ergonomic design that makes this easy and efficient to use. It is also equipped with a lot of safety features including a chain brake and an auto tension system that prevents you from accidentally over tightening the unit.
It is a portable unit, but it does not compromise on power. With its 15 Amp motor, you can still get your cutting work done, no matter what you are cutting. For effortless usage, it also comes with an auto lubrication feature. The oil level indicator makes sure that it is a unit that you can easily use.
- This is one of the most affordable chainsaws you can get today. But even if it has a lower price tag, it still offers a multitude of features and benefits.
- Like the others, this also has a tool-free functionality. It has an auto-tensioning system that ensures you can get the proper tension on the blade each time.
- It is quite easy to use. Even new lumberjacks or avid DIY-ers can use this tool with ease.
- It packs a punch when it comes to power. That said, you can rely on this to perform even the toughest projects and jobs.
- Unlike other chainsaws where you will have to mix gas and oil, this one is much easier to start up.
- This unit has a design that promotes safety. The solid and stable design makes people feel secure while using this.
- There were those who said they have issues with the chain coming loose all the time. If you need to replace the chain loop, you might also have a hard time finding a replacement part.
Which One Should You Get?
Best Value: Black + Decker LCS1020 20V Max Lithium Ion Chainsaw. We recommend this one not just because of its durable construction and its portability but also because of how easy it is to use. Even if you have stamina or mobility issues, you will feel safe using this one. It reduces hand fatigue and doesn’t cause wrist strain.
Easy to Maintain: Husqvarna 120 Lightweight 16 Inch Bar Gas Powered Chainsaw. Hate doing major maintenance work with your chainsaw? Get this one. It has a feature that allows big debris to be expelled naturally, so you never have to deal with frequent cleanup every again.
Quiet Operations: Dewalt DCCS620B 20V MAX XR Compact 12-inch Cordless Chainsaw. This is the chainsaw you can rely on if you want something that doesn’t emit too much noise. It is so quiet that you don’t even need earplugs to operate it.
Cheapest Choice: Worx WG304.1 Chain Saw 18-Inch. If you are on a tight budget but you don’t want to compromise on the quality of the product you are buying, get this one. It still delivers a lot of features but at a price range that one can easily afford.
What You Should Look For When Finding the Best Chainsaw
It is a matter of personal preference. What might work for another person might not work the same way for you because you have different needs and preferences. Assess your individual and unique needs. Take the following factors into consideration:
Length of the Guide Bar. The guide bar is an important mechanism because this is what guides the chain. The longer the guide bar, the more capable it is to cut bigger trees. On the other hand, chainsaws with a longer guide bar tend to be heavier and clunkier, so they might not be the best for those looking for one that can reduce hand fatigue. Ideally, you would want something with a guide bar length that sits somewhere between 1 foot and 1 ½ feet.
Gas versus Electric versus Battery Operated. Electric and battery operated chainsaws are lighter. Because there are less parts needed to run it, it is lighter in weight. However, they might not be as powerful as the gas-operated one. (View our electric chainsaw picks here.)The gas ones are more powerful but they tend to be noisier and they can emit gases that can be bad for the environment.
Safety Features. Make sure you look for additional safety features. Look for features and mechanisms that allow the chainsaw to function without too much vibration. That can prevent hand fatigue and also reduce injuries to body parts. Also look for those that feature multiple throttle triggers. This can prevent you from accidentally turning the chainsaw on. Look for a low-kickback design as well. A chain brake feature is a nice addition to the features as well.
Durability. See to it that the chainsaw is made from materials that are resistant to wear and tear. Choose those that will not corrode easily. Look for materials that also does not break easily. Check the construction as well. See to it that parts such as the chain won’t get loose over time. Remember also that chainsaw chains need to be sharpened or replaced over time.
Easy to Clean. The last thing you would want is to get a chainsaw where debris easily sticks to its internal mechanisms. Look for one that prevents debris from getting in the engine. This will also help prolong the lifespan of the engine.
At some point, you may realize that there are certain jobs where using a chainsaw would totally work, but other tools might be more appropriate.
An example would be when you need to trim or prune a tree’s branches. You could use a chainsaw but a pole saw would suit your needs better. And if you’re looking to break down a log, then the best tool to use is a log splitter.
These are some of the things you need to ponder over. Take our suggestions and get the chainsaws mentioned above. Also, visit our homepage to find more construction tools that can help you get your jobs done easily and effortlessly. Use our buying guides to ensure that you get the right tools suitable for your particular needs.