Last Updated: by
A dull chainsaw can affect the quality and output of your work. But rather than have your chainsaw professionally sharpened all the time, which can break the bank, buy your own chainsaw sharpener instead. There is no shortage of good chainsaw sharpeners out there that you can afford even on a low budget. We will show you below just which of those out there are worth buying.
- Best Chainsaw Sharpener Reviews
- Why You Need a Chainsaw Sharpener
- Manual versus Electric: Which is Better?
- Which Chainsaw Sharpener is the Best Choice for You?
Best Chainsaw Sharpener Reviews
Look no further because these are the chainsaw sharpeners that are worth the money:
- Katzco 8 Piece Chainsaw Sharpener File Kit
- Stihl 2-in-1 Easy File Chainsaw Chain Sharpener
- Buffalo Tools ECSS Electric Chainsaw Sharpener
- Granberg Bar-Mount Chainsaw Sharpener
Now here are some of the things you should know about these sharpeners:
We think this is the most value-for-your-money buy just because it comes complete with everything you need for sharpening and conditioning your chainsaw. It doesn’t hurt that it comes with an affordable price tag. It is a kit that comes with different types of files – from round files to the fine-toothed ones. Whatever type of filer you need, it comes in this kit that is arranged in a roll-up tool pouch that you can easily bring with you.
All these files fit in the only hardwood handle included in this kit. With the help of this handle, you can easily use all the files in this kit.
If you are looking for an affordable chainsaw sharpener, get this product. It is a kit that includes 8 different pieces that include a 7-inch depth gauge, a 4-inch hardwood handle, a 6-inch flat file, 3 round files with 9.75 inches of length and a 7.75-inch file holder.
- All the tools you need for different filing purposes are included. It is a complete kit, so you don’t need to buy different tools anymore.
- The hardwood handle is durable and ergonomic. You can easily fit the blades in here. It doesn’t feel uncomfortable when you grip it and you can easily direct the blade at an angle you prefer. Changing the files isn’t difficult as well.
- It is a portable kit as well. The roll-up pouch makes it easier to organize your tools, so you never have to worry about losing them ever again. You can bring the tools safely to your work station since the pouch is thick enough to prevent them from sticking out.
- The entire kit is lightweight. It only weighs 8 ounces.
- Many of the people who bought this said it is easy to use. These also produced clean and sharp results. They were also able to sharpen their chainsaw faster than they expected.
- The instructions are a bit lacking. You might need to go online and look for a few videos to learn how to use this.
Get the benefits of two sharpeners in just one product. This chainsaw sharpener comes with a flat file and two round files. They are all encased in a file holder that is easy to carry around. With its functionality, you don’t need to spend so much time conditioning your chainsaw. With this tool alone, you will be able to sharpen the chain and then lower down the depth gauge at the same time.
It is an accurate and easy tool to use. Every stroke gets more job done, thereby cutting back on the amount of time it usually takes to keep your chainsaw properly maintained.
- It gets two jobs done. You can sharpen the blades of your chainsaw and then lower down the depth gauge of your chainsaw at the same time, dispensing the need to buy two separate tools to get these jobs done.
- It has a short learning curve. Those who used this chainsaw sharpener were able to learn how to use it in just mere minutes. There are no complicated and tedious mechanisms that you need to learn. It is quite straightforward, great for beginners.
- It creates the sharpest results. After minutes of using this sharpener, they immediately went back to cutting.
- It is also backed by a good warranty. Those who had issues with it were able to get their problems addressed by the manufacturer.
- It is lightweight and portable. You can bring it with you to your workplace without any problems.
- It’s a bit expensive for a manual sharpener.
Save yourself a lot of time and trouble in maintaining your chainsaw by getting this sharpener. It has an electric operation, so you don’t have to spend so much time manually going through each tooth one by one. Simply mount it to a wall, bench or a vise and then it is ready to be used.
It comes with 4 grinding wheel spins that has ¼-inch x 1/8-inch of size. Each wheel spins at an RPM of 4200, allowing you to get those dull teeth sharpened in no time. This tool needs to be plugged to an outlet with 120 volts.
- After setting it up to a permanent stand, this should be a breeze to use. It truly sharpens the chain fast.
- Some said it produces better sharpening results than the manual ones. They also said the sharpening results are better than new.
- It cuts down the amount of time needed to sharpen a chain. With the amount of time it takes to manually sharpen one chain, you can do that three times faster with this one.
- The price is reasonable considering this is an electric sharpener.
- It lasts for a long time. There were those who have used this a lot and still happy with how it operates a year later. It seems to hold up well against a good level of abuse.
- Many of the customers wished it came with a more detailed manual. The instructions in the manual included isn’t very informative.
With more than 35 years of making chain saw sharpeners under their belt, particularly this file-n-joint sharpener, it is no surprise that this is one of the best out there. It is the best of the best, which is what makes this ideal for professional chains. All file sizes are compatible with this, so whether you are lowering depth gauges or sharpening your chain, this will work for you.
You can expect this to last for a long time with its zinc-plated steel and aluminum. It is easier to set the tooth length as well as the height of the file with its built-in features.
- A lot of people can attest to its durability. They have used this for years and it is still going strong.
- This is easy to use. It already comes with the features you need to mount your files and lower down depth gauge.
- Chains always come out sharp. They are even sharper than when they were new, a further proof of its ability to truly get the job done.
- It has very precise angles if you take the time to set it up.
- Setup is also straightforward. You can find the right angle you prefer with ease.
- For its reliability and features, the price is actually good.
- There were those who said it does take a bit of time to figure out how to use this but once you do master it, it should work seamlessly.
Why You Need a Chainsaw Sharpener
It is an important maintenance tool for your chainsaw, which dulls out every time you use it. That constant friction and rubbing motion dulls out the blade or chain.
Any chainsaw, Whether you’re using an electric chainsaw or a gas-powered one, whether it’s a log splitter or a pole pruner saw, you need to sharpen it every time you fill your chainsaw with gas because of the following reasons:
1. To be able to cut through wood smoothly.
The main reason is to be able to cut wood successfully. With a dull tool, you will get crude and inconsistent results. That can be wasteful on resources, especially if you are cutting a tree. Rather than utilize most of the tree, you might need to cut it again in order to rectify the unpolished cutting you did with a dull chainsaw.
2. To cut through wood safely.
When you use a dull knife, it makes cutting hard foods more difficult. That can increase the likelihood of cutting your hand when chopping food. The same is true with a chainsaw. A dull chainsaw could miss and could end up injuring the person using it if it isn’t sharp enough.
3. To avoid exerting too much effort.
When you are working with a dull chainsaw, you need to exert more effort just to get the job done. That can consume so much of your energy.
4. To reduce the amount of time it takes to cut wood.
A freshly sharpened chainsaw will help you get the job done faster and easier.
Manual versus Electric: Which is Better?
Most people would probably go with a manual chainsaw sharpener because it is far less intimidating to use compared to an electric one, especially when they aren’t experienced in using this tool. However, the electric ones can get the job done faster and much easier, with far less effort exerted on the end of the user. The manual ones can be used anytime and anywhere whereas the electric ones will still require an outlet for you to be able to use them.
The prices for electric and manual sharpeners vary. Some manual ones are quite expensive, especially the kits while there are those cheap electric ones that have a similar price range as the manual ones.
It really depends on your personal needs. If you can find one that is easy to use and gets the job done, go for it. If you use your chainsaw professionally, it might be better to go for the electric ones as it can cut down the amount of work you need to do and helps you accomplish more precise results.
Which Chainsaw Sharpener is the Best Choice for You?
Now, which of these products are the most ideal choices?
Most Affordable Choice: Katzco 8 Piece Chainsaw Sharpener File Kit. This is a good product to buy if you don’t want to spend a lot of money. It is a basic tool kit that includes all the things you need to keep your chainsaw in good condition. It is also easy to use and creates sharp results even without spending too much time sharpening.
Ideal for Beginners: Stihl 2-in-1 Easy File Chainsaw Chain Sharpener. Don’t know how to use a chainsaw sharpener? You are not alone. Most people who own a chainsaw don’t know how to sharpen their tool. But don’t worry because this sharpener is designed for easier usage. You won’t have trouble learning how to use this because of how simple its mechanisms are. It also takes care of lowering the depth gauge for you, so you can cut down the amount of work you need to do to maintain your chainsaw sharpener.
Quick Sharpening Results: Buffalo Tools ECSS Electric Chainsaw Sharpener. This tool will breeze through the sharpening process. It has a powerful sharpener that gets the job done in very little time at all. Every sharpening session creates great results. With this tool, you will be able to keep all your chains for woodworking maintained.
Most Durable: Granberg Bar-Mount Chainsaw Sharpener. You don’t have to keep on buying a new chainsaw sharpener with this one in tow because this will last you for a long time. It is very durable, and it gets the job done well. It produces the sharpest results at just a very little time and with very little learning curve.
Now that you know all these, it is time to look for other tools you can use for woodworking. Do check out our homepage to learn more helpful woodworking tools and read more buying tips that will help veer you in the right buying direction.