Looking for a chainsaw for your farm or contract logging tasks? This can be pretty confusing because of the diverse models in the market today.
But if you check into the logging industry closely, two models stand out; Husqvarna and Stihl. They are both powerful, durable, and versatile, but also depict inherent differences that you need to decide the one to buy.
We went into the market, selected the best Husqvarna and Stihl chainsaws, and reviewed them. Join us in this Husqvarna vs Stihl chainsaw comparison to discover their design, features, power and other attributes to help you pick the perfect piece for your job.
Our Top Husqvarna vs Stihl Chainsaws Are:
|1. Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw||Check Current Price|
|2. Husqvarna 460 Rancher Chainsaw||Check Current Price|
|3. Husqvarna 240 Chainsaw||Check Current Price|
|4. STIHL MS 180||Check Current Price|
|5. Stihl MS 181 Chainsaw||Check Current Price|
|6. Stihl MSE 250 CQ||Check Current Price|
1. Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw – Top Pick
Coming in first position is this 55.55cc gas-powered Husqvarna 455 Rancher, a cutting beast that will rip through even the toughest log that you throw at it. Its rugged construction and sheer power make it an ideal piece for property owners, loggers, and carpenters with a lot of cutting tasks.
The chainsaw also uses X-torque technology that helps to reduce fuel consumption with a huge margin. With the technology, you not only cut gas consumption by about 20% but also slash emissions by about 60%.
To enhance the performance of the saw, Husqvarna designed this chainsaw with an automatic oiler that helps to keep the chain links oiled all the time. Furthermore, the chainsaw uses a side-mounted chain tensioning system for fast adjustments without incurring significant downtime.
The chainsaw also features a quick-release air filter for easy maintenance. When working in the woods, we found cleaning the air filter or changing it pretty easy and fast.
- Weight: 12.8 pounds
- Dimensions: 20 x 9.5 x 41 inches
- Power source: gas-powered
- Uses a long chain bar of 20 inches
- The chainsaw is strong and durable
- Easy to maintain
- Consumes less gas
If you are interested in a Husqvarna that will last a lifetime, look no further than this 460 rancher chainsaw. The chainsaw is a gas-powered model designed with a 60cc two-cycle engine that generates ample power for most cutting tasks. Well, whether you are looking forward to pruning a tree, limb, or cutting firewood, this chainsaw will never disappoint.
When designing this piece, the main focus of Husqvarna was performance, safety, and durability. The saw uses advanced HAVS (hands to arm vibration system) that helps to reduce the bulk of the vibration. The handles are also padded so that you can enjoy working with the chainsaw for a long time without fatigue.
When using this chainsaw, we also realized that it is pretty easy to maintain. Like most Husqvarna chainsaws, this model comes with a side-mounted chain tensioning system that allows you to promptly adjust the chain. It also features a quick-release air filter system for faster filter replacement or oil change.
- Weight: 21 pounds
- Dimensions: 38 x 12 x 12 inches
- Power source: gas-powered
- Engine displacement: 60cc
- Designed with a long chain bar of 24 inches
- Works with an inertia activated chain brake for enhanced safety
- Made with an automatic chain oiler
- Adjusting the chain tension is easy and fast
- Can be used on a wide range of cutting tasks
Are you working on a tight budget or want a chainsaw for occasional use? Well, Husqvarna got you covered with this Husqvarna 240 Chainsaw, a compact and feature-rich power tool that will deliver more than you expected. We found it a reliable piece for pruning, yard work, and other light-duty cutting tasks.
The chainsaw comes with a 2 HP engine, which is ample for most of your cutting tasks around the yard. It is designed with X-torque technology that helps you to achieve two things; low fuel consumption and reduced emissions. You will enjoy every moment working in the backyard knowing that you are not affecting the environment negatively.
To enhance its performance, the chainsaw is fitted with a centrifugal air cleaning system that helps to remove debris and large particles before reaching the air filter. The result is a reduced need for cleaning the air filter and longer engine life.
Working with this chainsaw feels natural and really fun. In addition to being light, the chainsaw uses a vibration-reducing system that allows you to work for a long time without getting tired.
- Weight: 10.3 pounds
- Dimensions: 32 x 11 x 9.5 inches
- Power source: Gas-powered
- It has an ergonomic design
- Easy to main maintain
- Uses vibration dampening system to reduce fatigue
- Not suitable for heavy-duty cutting
4. STIHL MS 180 – Top Choice
This STIHL MS 180 chainsaw is our first choice in the Stihl category because of its striking design and features that make cutting hardwood and firewood simple. The chainsaw uses a 35cc internal combustion system that generates ample power for most logging and back yard cutting jobs.
The most notable thing about the chainsaw is the anti-vibration system that makes it very smooth and enjoyable to use. In addition to being light, the chainsaw is pretty easy to control because most of the switches are located on the rear handle.
So, you simply grab the front handle with one hand to guide the chain, while the other holds the rear handle and controls most chainsaw functions.
Our most favorite feature of the chainsaw is its Oilomatic® chain lubrication system. The system guarantees timely lubrication of the chain links and the guide bar rail for smooth operation and longer lifespan. Also, it helps to cut down bar oil consumption by about 50%.
- Weight: 9 pounds
- Engine displacement: 35.5cc
- Guide bar length: 14 inches
- Designed with easy chain adjustments
- Compact and easy to use
- Uses overflow channels to optimize fuel efficiency
- Uses a single-lever master control for most functions
- Suitable for most cutting tasks around
- The chainsaw guide bar is short
This Stihl MS 181 makes it into our Stihl vs Husqvarna chainsaw review list because of its advanced features. Although it still has a short guide bar, its performance was excellent.
The chainsaw is compact and generates 1.5 kW of power, which is enough for most cutting tasks around the home. We found the chainsaw outstanding for felling small trees, trimming, and cutting firewood.
And like other Stihl chainsaws, STIHL MS 180 utilizes overflow channels to help reduce fuel consumption. You can expect to cut fuel consumption by up to 20% when using the chainsaw.
During this Husqvarna vs Stihl chainsaw review, we established that Stihl used an advanced air filtration system on the MS 180 to enhance its performance. The system swirls the air rapidly, removing all the large and heavy dust particles before passing it through the conventional filtering system.
- Weight: 9.5 pounds
- Dimensions: 24 x 12 x 12 inches
- Power source: Gas-powered
- Guide bar size: inches
- The chainsaw is compact and lightweight
- It uses an advanced filtering system for better performance
- Comes with an easy to use blade tensioning system
- Designed with strong materials for extra durability
- Can be used on a wide range of tasks
- Some carpenters have complained about the chain getting off the guard
Do your cutting tasks involve working in extreme cold? Well, you need a strong chainsaw such as this Stihl MSE 250 CQ with advanced technology that helps to prevent the carburetor from freezing.
The chainsaw generates up to 2.3 kW of power, which is enough for cutting even the toughest trunks in the yard. It also uses an advanced air heating system that prevents the carburetor from freezing. Therefore, whether you are working on a frozen area in the mountain or it is during winter, the chainsaw will still deliver top performance.
This chainsaw is also easy to control. With its QuickStop brake lever, you can bring the chain to a complete stop within seconds. We found this very helpful, especially when you want to stop promptly to avoid accidents. Furthermore, you are able to control the main functions of the chainsaw using the same lever located on the rear handle.
- Weight: 10 pounds
- Engine displacement: 35.2cc
- Bar length: 16 inches
- Reduces fuel consumption by about 20%
- Can perform optimally even in frozen conditions
- Helps you to cut emissions by up to 70%
- Ideal for diverse cutting tasks
- Strong and durable
- Uses advanced filtration system
- Newbies may need some time learning how to use the chainsaw
Stihl vs Husqvarna Chainsaws: Brand Comparison
We have brought out the best chainsaw models by Stihl and Husqvarna, and it is time to pick the perfect piece. But before you can narrow down to the perfect choice for your situation, it is important to also get some insights into the two brands.
So, here is our Husqvarna vs Stihl chainsaw brands comparison:
Husqvarna is one of the top manufacturers of chainsaws that has cut a name for high-quality power tools. It is part of the Husqvarna Group and has been in the market for more than 300 years, yes, you got that right.
If you opt to go for Husqvarna when selecting a chainsaw, you get to enjoy the following benefits:
- Husqvarna saws have a reputation for cutting faster compared to those from Stihl
- Most Husqvarna saws are easy to purchase online
- They rock larger fuel tanks that allow users to work for a longer period
- They use X-TORO technology that makes them more fuel-efficient
Stihl (pronounced as “steel”) is a German-based manufacturer, which markets itself as the world’s best-selling brand of chainsaws. Founded in 1926, Stihl has a lot less compared to its rival Husqvarna.
But the hundred-year history has been excellent as the company has improved its power tools technology and added more products under its belt. Some of the main tools designed by Stihl include bed redefiners, concrete cutters, blowers, and lawnmowers.
So, here are some benefits that come with sticking to Stihl when selecting your chainsaw:
- The brand’s chainsaws come with a higher low-end torque, which makes it better for tough cutting
- Stihl designs chainsaws with small tanks and bar guides that make them lighter and easy to use. But it also implies you will need to refuel more frequently
- Stihl chainsaws are less expensive compared to Husqvarna
- The chainsaws from Stihl require less maintenance and are mainly preferred by homeowners
We hope our Husqvarna chainsaw vs Stihl comparison has allowed you to have a clear view of the best that these two highly revered brands have to offer. When selecting a chainsaw, always remember that you should be guided by the task at hand.
Stihl discovered the chainsaws. As such, their chainsaws have a wider price range, are more compact, and provide superior low-end torque for higher horsepower at a smaller size. They are also designed with high-quality materials that make them durable.
Husqvarna, on the other hand, designs its chainsaws with superior and professional-grade features that make them the best choice for heavy-duty cutting tasks. They are also heavy, have a wide price range and are very easy to buy online.
While we stand with the brands that we have reviewed in this Stihl vs Husqvarna chainsaw comparison (they are outstanding), this Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw was our favorite because of its unique design and features.