Last Updated: by
A neat and tidy hedge can enhance the look of your garden, yard, or fence. But keeping on top of the spring and summer growth can be a little bit of a challenge. So, the best pole hedge trimmer will make the maintenance of your hedges, bushes, and shrubs quicker and easier.
There are many different sizes and types of pole hedge trimmers that may seem ideal for your application, but you wouldn’t really know unless you do a little research.
In this guide, I have selected six of the best models the market has to offer by taking into account all the important features you would want a pole hedge trimmer to have.
- The Best Pole Hedge Trimmers Are…
- 1. Sun Joe SJH904E Electric Pole Hedge Trimmer — Best Overall
- 2. TrimmerPlus AH721 Dual Hedge Trimmer Attachment — Best Attachment
- 3. Earthwise CVPH43018 Corded Pole Hedge Trimmer — Best Corded Model
- 4. Sun Joe SJH901E Electric Pole Hedge Trimmer — Best Multi-Angle Head
- 5. Black+Decker LPHT120 Cordless Pole Hedge Trimmer — Best Cordless Design
- 6. Greenworks Cordless Pole Hedge Trimmer — Best Value for Money
- Buying Guide
- Final Thoughts
The Best Pole Hedge Trimmers Are…
|1. Sun Joe SJH904E Electric Pole Hedge Trimmer||Check Current Price|
|2. TrimmerPlus AH721 Dual Hedge Trimmer Attachment||Check Current Price|
|3. Earthwise CVPH43018 Corded Pole Hedge Trimmer||Check Current Price|
|4. Sun Joe SJH901E Electric Pole Hedge Trimmer||Check Current Price|
|5. Black+Decker LPHT120 Cordless Pole Hedge Trimmer||Check Current Price|
|6. Greenworks Cordless Pole Hedge Trimmer||Check Current Price|
1. Sun Joe SJH904E Electric Pole Hedge Trimmer — Best Overall
Give you tallest hedges and bushes clean cut edges with the great Sun Joe SJH904E Electric Pole Hedge Trimmer. A tool engineered for consistent performance.
- 2-in-1 convertible design
- 19-inch dual-action blade
- Multi-angle pivoting head
- Telescopic pole
- Powerful 4.5 amp motor
This is a 2-in-1 convertible hedge trimmer that allows you to save time on yard maintenance and do the work of a crew with two tools in one design.
It comes with a state-of-the-art multi-angle pivoting head, which is an excellent feature because it allows for precise pruning of some of the tallest hedges and bushes in your compound.
I really appreciate the 19-inch dual-action hardened steel blades, considering how efficiently they trim hedges in both directions and offer up to 40 percent less vibration. The telescoping pole effortlessly extends from 3.8 to 5.9 feet for up to 13 feet of overhead reach depending on your height.
But weight distribution and balance seemed to be an issue for me. It appeared a little bit heavy when I was using it as a pole hedge trimmer.
- It takes less than a minute to convert it to a handheld unit
- Adjusting the cutting head angle is a breeze
- Dual action blades cut in both directions, reducing trimming time
- Has a superior overhead reach of up to 13 feet
- Ergonomic front and rear handles improve handling and stability
- May be a little bit heavy for some people
- Possible to receive a refurbished item
This model delivers the best cutting performance both as a handheld or a pole hedge trimmer. But beware, it is a little bit heavy.
Overall Rating – 4.4
2. TrimmerPlus AH721 Dual Hedge Trimmer Attachment — Best Attachment
The TrimmerPlus AH721 is a heavy-duty dual hedge trimmer attachment that accepts trimmers and power heads from most brands.
- 22-inch double-sided blades
- 3/4-inch gap
- Features an articulating head
- Wide compatibility
- Durable die-cast construction
The TrimmerPlus AH721 attachment has wide compatibility because it can fit trimmers and power heads from Troy Bilt, Craftsman, Remington, and Greenworks to mention a few.
This hedge trimmer is engineered with an articulating head, which is a great feature because it allows you to lock the head at seven different angles.
This particular model is fitted with a 22-inch dual-action blade and 3/4-inch gaps that allow for consistent and smooth side-to-side hedging.
Another amazing feature that comes with this attachment is the blade cover, which does a great job of securing the blade for safe storage.
What was really upsetting when I was installing this model to my trimmer is the length of the attachment shaft. I wish it could be longer.
- It accepts a good number of trimmers and power heads
- Hedge trimmer head can be locked at seven different angles
- Dual action blade cuts through the thickest shrub branches
- Heavy-duty metal construction improves durability
- Blade cover allows for safe storage
- Attachment shaft is too short
- May get a little bit heavy with some attachment capable power heads
This hedge trimmer attachment is exactly what you need if you happen to have a compatible power head or a trimmer at home.
Overall Rating – 4.3
3. Earthwise CVPH43018 Corded Pole Hedge Trimmer — Best Corded Model
The Earthwise CVPH43018 is a high performing model that you can easily convert from a pole to a handheld hedge trimmer. It is an electric and not gas-powered model; so, no maintenance needed.
- 2-in-1 design
- 18-inch cutting blade
- 11/16-inch cutting capacity
- Adjustable cutting angle
- Up to 13-foot overhead reach
The Earthwise CVPH43018 is a 2-in-1 hedge trimmer that you can use as a handheld unit or a pole hedge trimmer.
It uses an 18-inch cutting blade with a cutting capacity of 11/16 inches that allows you to easily cut or prune the extra hedges on your fence or in your garden. The adjustable pole stretches out to a length of approximately 8.8 feet, which provides you with a reliable overhead reach of 13 feet.
I really appreciate the adjustable cutting head on this shrub trimmer, considering how easy it is to prune hedges from a 60-degree angle.
But this hedge trimmer is a little bit heavy and the weight distribution isn’t that good because the motor is positioned on the top end.
- Can be used as a handheld or a pole hedge trimmer
- Dual action blade will cut forward and backward
- Has superior cutting power and capacity
- Easy to start with a single push of a button
- Impressive overhead reach of up to 13 feet
- May be a little bit heavy for some users
- Doesn’t have a very durable power cord
With the Earthwise CVPH43018, you get both a handheld and a pole hedge trimmer in a single design. But this machine may require muscle power to lift over the head, depending on the user.
Overall Rating – 4.3
4. Sun Joe SJH901E Electric Pole Hedge Trimmer — Best Multi-Angle Head
With the Sun Joe SJH901E Electric Pole Hedge Trimmer, you no longer need a ladder or a hedge cutting platform to be able to cut and shape the hedges and bushes in your surroundings.
- 18-inch dual action blade
- 7-inch cutting capacity
- Multi-pivoting head
- Telescoping pole
- Powerful 3.8 amp motor
This product offers an impressive overhead reach of up to 13 feet, while the hardened steel blades increase the reach by 18 inches.
The Sun Joe SJH901E is fitted with a multi-angle pivoting head, which is a great feature because you can adjust the cutting angle conveniently when cutting thick hedges and bushes.
The 18-inch dual action blades are made of hardened steel for durability and they’re extremely sharp. So, they won’t be needing sharpening any time soon.
Another amazing feature that’s included in this tool is the safety switch, which ensures the hedge trimmer doesn’t accidentally turn itself on.
But folks, this tool packs some serious weight, which may make maneuverability and balance a problem for some users. I think that’s why they supply a shoulder harness.
- Overhead reach is reliable, even for short people
- Dual action blade makes hedge trimming a breeze
- Head can be positioned at different angles for customized trimming
- Safety switch prevents the unit from turning itself on
- Shoulder harness included for improving balance and stability
- May turn out to be a little bit heavy for some users
- Very sharp blades may be a safety hazard
The Sun Joe SJH901E overhead trimming performance is imposing, and the pivoting head makes it even better.
Overall Rating – 4.3
5. Black+Decker LPHT120 Cordless Pole Hedge Trimmer — Best Cordless Design
The Black+Decker LPHT120 is your go-to model, if you have been looking for a cordless pole hedge trimmer that offers superior overhead reach.
- 18-inch dual action blades
- Powered by a 20V Li-ion battery
- 6-1/2-foot pole with an overhead reach of 10 feet
- Soft grip handle
- Quick and easy start trigger switch
This cordless model is powered by a 20V max Li-ion battery system, which is an excellent feature because it offers smart charge technology and holds charge five times longer.
Unlike other cordless hedge trimmers, the gear drive of the Black+Decker LPHT120 delivers more power to the dual action blades.
The hedge trimmer’s unique lightweight design evenly distributes weight, making this tool comfortable to use and remarkably easy to control.
The dual action blades and the 180-degree five-position pivoting head offer you superior maneuverability for trimming tall and thick hedges and bushes.
But beware, you can very easily receive a used product that may function for a limited time.
- Superior battery life and fast charging
- Pivoting head allows for customized overhead trimming
- Easy to start with a trigger switch
- Double sided blades generate less vibration
- Soft grip handle allows for consistent hand placement
- Possible to receive a used or defective hedge trimmer
- Could be better with a higher overhead reach
The Black+Decker LPHT120 offers you control, stability, and comfort for all your overhead hedge trimming tasks. Not to mention that it has a decent battery life.
Overall Rating – 4.2
6. Greenworks Cordless Pole Hedge Trimmer — Best Value for Money
The Greenworks Cordless Pole Hedge Trimmer gives you gas comparable power and performance without the fumes, maintenance, and mess of gas.
- Powered by G-Max 40V Li-ion battery
- 20-inch dual action blade
- 5/8-inch cutting capacity
- Three-position pivoting head
- Adjustable height feature
The Greenworks Cordless Pole Hedge Trimmer is powered by the G-Max 40V Li-ion battery, which delivers true gas performance and fast charge times. This model comes with a three-position pivoting head, which is a good feature because it makes cutting at an angle easy, quick, and very comfortable.
The 20-inch polished steel blades give you plenty of length and strength for even cuts, and the dual action feature reduces vibration by about 40%.
But the thing is, getting the battery out of the trimmer when you want to use it with another Greenworks tool is fierce battle. I bet what I have is a used product.
- Battery system delivers true gas performance
- Pivoting head makes cutting at an angle possible
- Less vibration from the dual action blades
- 5/8-inch cutting capacity handles most shrubs with ease
- Cushioned hand grips add comfort and reduce user fatigue
- It’s possible to receive a defective product
- Blades may fail to engage
This is a versatile, lightweight cordless hedge trimmer that’s perfect for controlled, easy trimming and pruning of most hedges and bushes.
Overall Rating – 4.2
It might seem obvious, but the first place to start is to look at the physical appearance of your hedge, bush, or shrub.
Observe how thick and tall it is and whether or not it has thick branches. This will help streamline your selection of the best pole hedge trimmer.
Here are a few things that you need to take into account during your search:
Types of Pole Hedge Trimmer
There are three main types of hedge trimmers you can choose from:
- Corded (electric)
- Battery-powered (cordless electric)
Gasoline pole hedge trimmers don’t have cables and they’re ideal for larger hedges and bushes that corded and cordless models just can’t handle.
Battery-powered pole hedge trimmers combine the benefit of no cable, and the convenience of not having to handle any gasoline.If you’re interested in a battery-powered model, it’s worth considering one with a battery pack that you can carry around in order to reduce the weight of the hedge trimmer when moving around.
Once you’ve decided on the type, it’s important to think about the blades. There are three considerations to take into account.The first one is the length of the blade. Longer blades can trim faster and evenly. They’re the best if you’ve got taller hedges.
The second consideration is the teeth spacing also referred to as blade gap. This affects the size of the branch or limbs you can trim.A pole hedge trimmer with wide teeth spacing can cut through thicker hedges, bushes, and shrubs. But narrow blade gaps are only suitable for thinner hedges.
Ergonomic Pole Design
The whole idea of having a pole hedge trimmer is to be able to reach and trim the tallest hedges and bushes. So, choose a model with a telescopic pole that you can adjust accordingly to increase your overhead reach.
Our overall best pole hedge trimmer is Sun Joe SJH904E. It does an exemplary job at trimming hedges, shrubs, and bushes with its dual action blades. The telescoping pole is a nice feature because it means you don’t need a ladder or a platform to get the blades to the tallest hedges.
The hedge trimmer is also convertible. You can conveniently use it as a pole hedge trimmer or as a handheld hedge trimmer, depending on your preference and the task at hand. Now, you are well-informed and I believe you can make a profound buying decision. Just make sure you choose the most ideal type, blades, and pole design.