Best Screwdriver Set Reviews (2019): Our Favorites For The Money
Whether you are a hobbyist or a professional, the best screwdriver set is an indispensable part of your tools and equipment. You can use this to tighten screws and bolts. Whether you are making a storage box, a cabinet or installing a door, a screwdriver set will surely come handy.
While you can definitely get only the screwdrivers you need, getting a complete set saves you the trouble of finding different types of screwdrivers. That way, if there is a project that needs a specific kind of screwdriver, you already have it in your arsenal. These screwdriver sets also make wonderful gifts. If you have been thinking about the perfect gift to give to your dad who likes tinkering things around the house or your husband who likes DIY projects, get a screwdriver instead.
There are plenty of choices out there. Don’t worry though because this article will help you find the best screwdriver set that includes everything you might need for your DIY or professional construction work. Read on to find out which screwdriver sets have everything you need and which of them will last you many uses.
The 5 Screwdrivers You Should Have In Your Arsenal
If you have the following screwdrivers, you can get most jobs done:
1. Slotted Head/Flat Head
Tracing its origins back to the 15th century, this screwdriver is characterized by a flat tip. It engages with only a single slot. You can find manually-drive slotted head or those that are power driven. The downside to the power-driven ones is that they tend to have a cam-out disadvantage. The power tends to cause the screwdriver to slip off.
The Phillips screwdriver was invented by Henry Phillips back in 19th century. What differentiates this screwdriver is the cross-shaped tip. You can also find motored ones. The cam-out effect is still possible when the torque is high but unlike the previous type of screwdriver, it has lower risks for damages.
Canadian inventor Robertson coined and invented this screwdriver. It is one of those screwdrivers that do not have a cam-out effect because the tapered square top hinges well with the square-shaped protrusion. There are no angles that can cause the screwdriver to slip off. It also inflicts the least damage, thereby giving these screwdrivers an extended life.
This is similar to the Phillips screwdriver but unlike the latter, this one has two crosses. The other one is at a 45-degree angle. It provides more resistance against the cam-out effect compared to the Phillips screwdriver. It also feels more stable as it does not slip off easily.
The Hexagon or Hex type of screwdriver has 6 lobes, hence the name. These are used for fastening bolts. If you often use hex bolts, this is the screwdriver to get. This screwdriver resists slipping effectively.
Best Screwdriver Sets for 2019
These are the screwdriver sets we recommend getting:
- WorkPro 45-Piece Screwdriver Set
- GearWrench 80066 20 Piece Master Dual Material Screwdriver Set
- JTJ Professional Screwdriver Set
- Craftsman 9-31794 Slotted Phillips Screwdriver Set
Check out what these products have to offer:
1. WorkPro 45-Piece Screwdriver Set
For a kit that comes with 45 pieces of screwdrivers and accessories, this is one of the most affordable ones out there. But although it is inexpensive, it doesn’t compromise on quality. The blades are heat-treated and made from chrome vanadium material. They are finished with chrome plating for added protection against corrosion. You can rest easy knowing that your screwdriver set will not succumb to rust even when you leave it outside.
- This is one durable screwdriver set. The parts are made from materials that will not succumb to corrosion right away. You can subject them to wear and tear and it will not get damaged easily.
- Get this if you are looking for a more complete screwdriver set that will not break the bank. It is quite inexpensive but still made from good quality materials.
- The screwdrivers boast of more torque because of how big the handles are. You can grip the handles without feeling tired. If you have issues with your hands such as arthritis, you can also rely on this better than other screwdrivers out there.
- The kit comes with a folding rack. Keep your screwdrivers properly organized in here. You can also carry it around.
- The tips of the screwdrivers are magnetic. You can put the screw in place easily.
- This comes with smaller screwdrivers that you can use when working on electronic materials.
- Some said the rack tips over easily but shouldn’t interfere with the functionality of the screwdrivers.
2. GearWrench 80066 20 Piece Master Dual Material Screwdriver Set
Don’t hesitate to shell out more money for this set from GearWrench. There is a reason why it is more expensive than your average screwdriver set. This one comes complete with Tri-lobe handles that are ergonomic, so you can grip them with ease and comfort. The shaft is made from chrome vanadium steel has laser etching part number for easier identification. You should not have problems using this for lower torque applications, thanks to its Speed Zone setting. The tips boast of black oxide materials that can prevent slipping issues.
- The “Speed Zone” function comes handy during those instances when you are applying low torque. This is easy to use and turn.
- The handles are ergonomic and easy to grip.
- It comes with 20 pieces. You should have everything you need for your projects.
- Dual material handle is one of its unique traits. It makes these screwdrivers easier to grip. Many commented on how the handles didn’t melt away with constant use like many other screwdrivers often do.
- These screwdrivers come with a lifetime warranty.
- Even high torque uses are easy with this screwdriver set.
- It is a bit pricier than others. Some also said they wished the handles were a bit softer.
3. JTJ Professional Screwdriver Set
Here is another screwdriver set that will not break the bank. The professional packaging houses 4 Phillips screwdrivers and 3 slotted ones to make up 7 pieces of screwdrivers that you can take with you anywhere. With its magnetic tips, you can work on your projects with ease. The handles feature slip-resistant properties. Made from TPR and PP materials can prevent slipping, your hands can grip the screwdriver and not worry about sweating. If you work with your bare hands and your hands to get sweaty, especially in the summer, get this instead.
- This set is made from high quality materials. The arbor boasts of chrome vanadium steel materials.
- The wide handles allow for easier use when working with higher or lower torque.
- This is the best one to get if you have sweaty hands.
- Inexpensive but has all the basic screwdrivers you need for your projects.
- Comes with a case that can keep you organized.
- The tips are magnetized.
- All the screwdrivers in this set are resistant to corrosion.
- Some said the magnetism for these screwdrivers are a bit weak.
4. Craftsman 9-31794 Slotted Phillips Screwdriver Set
The full-size version of this set comes with 17 pieces of screwdrivers and accessories. That includes 9 slotted screwdrivers, 7 Phillips screwdriver and a pocket keychain. All the screwdrivers are high quality and made to handle more tougher construction jobs. The butyrate handles guarantee comfortable usage. With its high strength materials, you can also use this for a long time without worrying about flaking or warping. The blades for the screwdrivers have been treated with heat as well. The slotted screwdrivers hold screws so well.
- This is a good starter kit for the avid handyman or DIY-er.
- The screwdrivers seem to be well-made.
- Handles are easy to hold and has good ergonomics.
- Some said they have relied on the manufacturer for years. They previously had screwdriver sets from the same company and their first one lasted for decades.
- The price is just right for the quality of these products.
- There were customers who had issues with the plastic packaging that it came with as they had a hard time getting rid of them.
Which One Should You Get?
Have you decided on the best one to get? Let us help you out even further.
Complete Set: WorkPro 45-Piece Screwdriver Set. You don’t have to look for anything else because everything you might need in a screwdriver set is already in this one. And for one that has 45 pieces of screwdrivers and additional accessories, it also has an accessible price. Get this if you are a handyman or an avid DIY-er.
Great Ergonomics: GearWrench 80066 20 Piece Master Dual Material Screwdriver Set. Whether you are working on high or low torque, you should not have issues with the screwdrivers included in this set. Everything looks and feels well-made.
For Sweaty Palms: JTJ Professional Screwdriver Set. It’s hard to work when you have sweaty palms. If this is your problem, you would want to look for a screwdriver set that is as ergonomic as this set. The materials prevent the screwdrivers from slipping, so you can work without discomforts.
Can Last for a Long Time: Craftsman 9-31794 Slotted Phillips Screwdriver Set. Craftsman has long been producing durable screwdrivers and this one is not an exception. It has all the makings of a high-quality screwdriver set, so you can rest easy knowing that this will last you for a long time.
How to Find the Best Screwdriver Set
To make sure you are getting the best screwdriver set, here are some factors you need to consider:
Durability of Materials
You can tell if the screwdriver set you are buying will last for a long time if it is made from materials that can resist wear, tear and corrosion. Look for materials that even when they get exposed to heat, perspiration and water, they won’t get damaged right away. One with chrome plate finishing can last for a long time.
The handles, if it has a rubber coating, should not chip or flake off easily. You don’t want the rubber materials to stick to your hands.
Slip Resistant Handles
There’s nothing more annoying than a screwdriver with handles that slip easily, especially if you have sweaty palms. It should have a rubber coating that keeps it in place. Also, the handles should feel ergonomic so that you won’t strain your hands while using it. Ergonomic handles will also make it easier for people with mobility issues to use them. Check how large the handles are and make sure you can grip them easily even when using work gives.
Can Produce More Torque
Screwdrivers with larger handles tend to be better when it comes to producing more torque. With these types of screwdrivers, problems such as hand fatigue can be greatly avoided.
Comes in a Kit That is Easy to Organize
Organization is key when you have multiple screwdrivers in tow. These sets often come in a box where you can easily organize the contents. Make sure the box is resistant to damages and can protect your screwdrivers from moisture, corrosion and impact.
Number of Screwdrivers Included
Screwdriver sets are different in such a way that they don’t contain the same number of screwdrivers. When buying, check which screwdrivers are included. Look for those that include screwdriver sets that you will be able to use in your future projects.
While screwdriver sets are relatively inexpensive, it’s still a good idea to compare prices based on the number of screwdrivers you will get, additional accessories and durability of the materials. With these factors in mind, you will be able to determine whether what you are buying has a good and reasonable price.
Aside from a screwdriver set, you would want to make sure you have all other tools you need to get wood projects done. We suggest visiting our homepage to find out more about other products that you can buy to ensure seamless woodworking. Check out our reviews and our product recommendations.