Anyone getting into carpentry for the first time will need a table saw.The reason is simple. A table saw is an extremely versatile and accurate tool that can handle all the basic woodworking cuts, rips, crosscuts, and bevel cuts.
Table saws are ideal for cutting plywood and solid boards. They accept a wide variety of saw blades and special attachments.
But there’s a larger collection of table saws on the market. So, if you’re trying to find the best beginner table saw for your application, then there’s a little research you have to do.
I can give you some answers and point you to five best selections that will both meet your budget limit and match your beginner woodworking skills.
- The Best Beginner Table Saws Are:
- 1. Dewalt DWE7485 Compact Table Saw — Overall Best Entry Level Table Saw
- 2. Dewalt DW745 10-Inch Table Saw — Best Portable Design
- 3. Bosch 4100-10 10-Inch Table Saw — Best Rolling Wheel Stand
- 4. Bosch GTS1031 Table Saw — Best One-Handed Portability
- 5. Skilsaw SPT70WT-01 Portable Table Saw — Best Dual Field Motor
- Buying Guide for Starter Table Saws
- Final Thoughts
The Best Beginner Table Saws Are:
|1. Dewalt DWE7485 Compact Table Saw||Check Current Price|
|2. Dewalt DW745 10-Inch Table Saw||Check Current Price|
|3. Bosch 4100-10 10-Inch Table Saw||Check Current Price|
|4. Bosch GTS1031 Table Saw||Check Current Price|
|5. Skilsaw SPT70WT-01 Portable Table Saw||Check Current Price|
1. Dewalt DWE7485 Compact Table Saw — Overall Best Entry Level Table Saw
The Dewalt DWE7485 is the best beginner table saw that features a lightweight and compact design. It has a small footprint that is best suited for a beginner’s limited workspace and skills.
- 8-1/4-inch blade diameter
- Ripping capacity of 24.5 inches
- Features a 15 amp motor
- Rack and pinion telescoping fence
- Onboard storage
This saw has a compact and portable design, which is exactly what a beginner needs because it doesn’t take up as much space as those professional table saws found at job sites.
You’ve got an impressive rip capacity of 24.5 inches and a depth of cut of 2-9/16 inches, which means cutting a 4 by 8 plywood will not be an issue for a first-timer.
Another great feature for entry-level woodworking is the telescoping fence with a flip-over ledge, which will make sure you make accurate cuts on both narrow and wide workpieces.
But there’s a possibility that you may receive a model that would not square to the blade, which can be challenging for a beginner to set up.
- Lightweight, compact, and extremely portable
- Large rip capacity for entry-level projects
- Telescoping fence stays parallel and adjusts easily
- Site pro modular blade guarding system improves safety and protection
- Onboard storage offers easy and quick access to components
- May receive a model with miter slots that aren’t perfectly parallel to the blade
- It isn’t sold with a stand
The Dewalt DWE7485 is the best starter table saw that you can easily move from your truck to the job site. You will also appreciate all the convenient features it comes with.
Overall Rating – 4.8
2. Dewalt DW745 10-Inch Table Saw — Best Portable Design
Portability, easy adjustments, large ripping capacity, consistent and powerful performance is what you should expect from the Dewalt DW745.
- 10-inch blade diameter
- Rip capacity of 20 inches
- Powerful 15 amp motor
- Tool-free adjustments
- Telescoping fence
The saw has a unique modular guarding system, which is a great feature for application-specific setups for making quick and accurate cuts.
This model comes equipped with a telescoping fence, which is extremely easy for a beginner to make adjustments and eliminate the risk of making inaccurate cuts.
Another great feature that comes with the Dewalt DW745 is the overload protection system, which helps maintain consistent performance when cutting frozen, wet, or hardwood.
But the thing is, the saw may not be properly set up out of the box. You might need to properly align the blade to the miter slots as well as the fence.
- Has a small, portable, and optimized footprint
- Telescoping fence ensures you don’t make inaccurate cuts
- Overload protection helps maintain consistent performance
- Offers suitably large ripping capacity for an entry-level woodworker
- Adjustments are quick and require no tools
- May not be properly aligned out of the box
- Attaching a vacuum to the dust port may not be easy
The portable design makes the Dewalt DW745 a great choice for beginners. It also comes with all the necessary safety features, including the site pro modular blade guarding system.
Overall Rating – 4.7
3. Bosch 4100-10 10-Inch Table Saw — Best Rolling Wheel Stand
The Bosch 4100-10 10-Inch Table Saw is packed full of quality features for a beginner such as the portable design, rolling wheel stand, square lock rip fence, and 3650 RPM no-load motor.
- Portable and compact design
- 15 amp 3650 RPM no-load motor
- Large cast aluminum top
- Smart blade guard system
- Square Lock rip fence
This saw has a portable design and a unique rolling wheel stand, which is a great combination because it offers great mobility and single-action takedown.
The Bosch 4100-10 features the brand’s flagship square lock rip fence that you can easily and quickly adjust with just one hand.
Another great feature for entry-level woodworkers is the smart guard system, which not only shields the blade but it is also transparent for added visibility and protection.
The table saw; however, tends to gets easily bunged up with fine particles of wood. This can easily affect how the saw works.
- It is highly portable and versatile
- Heavy-duty wheel stand allows for superior mobility
- Square lock rip fence is innovatively made for easy adjustments
- Offers a considerably wide ripping capacity of 25 inches
- Blade is properly secured by the smart guard system during use
- Can get easily clogged with sawdust during continuous use
- Provided warranty doesn’t cover all parts of the table saw
This model is engineered for efficient, effortless, and accurate cutting of workpieces, which make it one of the most befitting table saws for entry-level woodworking.
Overall Rating – 4.5
4. Bosch GTS1031 Table Saw — Best One-Handed Portability
One-handed portability, non-fading power, and exacting precision are what you should expect from the Bosch GTS1031 Table Saw.
- 15 amp 5000 no-load RPM motor
- 10-inch blade diameter
- Rip capacity of 18 inches
- Self-aligning square lock rip fence
- Smart guard system
This table saw combines unmatched portability with high performance and durability to create an easy to transport tool that’s as easy to move as it is to use.
The saw comes equipped with a self-aligning square lock rip fence, which is a great feature because it assures precise, effortless cuts for entry level woodworkers.
Another good addition is the portable tabletop, which expands to a category leading 18-inch rip capacity for everything from rough framing to smaller dimension sheets.
The main challenge a beginner could experience with this model is the poor quality of the wrench that is provided for unscrewing the arbor nut when changing the blade.
- One-handed portability allows for easy transportation
- Self-aligning rip fence improves the accuracy of cuts
- Portable tabletop expands smoothly to provide enough ripping capacity
- Smart guard system keeps you safe from the blade during cutting
- Onboard storage provides convenient access to all your accessories
- Provided wrench for unlocking the arbor nut is poorly designed
- Riving knife lever is made of plastic, which isn’t long-lasting
The Bosch GTS1031 Table Saw is engineered for portability, convenience, and productivity at a very good price point, making it ideal for first time woodworkers.
Overall Rating – 4.3
5. Skilsaw SPT70WT-01 Portable Table Saw — Best Dual Field Motor
The Skilsaw SPT70WT-01 is a good quality table saw that features the brand’s legendary worm drive gearing that is designed specifically for ripping. And its portability and ease of use make it ideal for entry-level woodworking.
- 10-inch blade diameter
- Rip capacity of 25 inches
- Impressive depth of cut of 3-1/2 inches
- Die-cast aluminum tabletop
- Dual-field motor
The saw is operated by a powerful 15 amp motor, which is a great feature because it delivers an impressive no-load RPM of 5300 for all your entry-level ripping and cutting projects.
It comes equipped with a die-cast aluminum tabletop and all-steel roll cage both of which can withstand repeated use and extreme temperatures.
I really appreciate the self-aligning rip fence that comes with the Skilsaw SPT70WT-01, considering how it stays parallel to the blade once aligned.
But the thing is, adjusting the blade to make it parallel to the miter slots may be a challenge for some beginner woodworkers.
- Portable and compact for easy transport
- Dual-field motor design delivers superior RPM
- Portable tabletop extends to provide you with a wide ripping capacity
- All-steel roll cage construction improves durability
- Smart guard system keeps you safe from the cutting blade
- May be difficult to align the blade to the miter slots
- Not sold with the table saw stand
The Skilsaw SPT70WT-01 is a table saw that befits the skillset of an entry-level woodworker. It’s portable and fairly easy to use.
Overall Rating – 4.3
Buying Guide for Starter Table Saws
You can have the ideal budget, but no idea of where to start when choosing your beginner table saw. There are a few considerations that are absolutely important for entry-level woodworkers:
Styles Of Table Saw
Table saws can be grouped into four different styles. From the smallest and least expensive to the largest and most expensive.
The various styles of table saws include: cabinet, hybrid, job site, and contractor. All these styles differ in terms of size, price, performance, versatility, and durability.
As such, I recommend the job site and contractor table saw styles for beginners. Jobsite models are lightweight, compact, durable, and offer the most power in their weight class.
Contractor models; on the other hand, offer the best combination of features, quality, and performance for an entry-level woodworker.
Precise and Smooth Adjustments
You are a beginner, right? But you won’t be happy if you repeatedly produce uneven cuts because of a poorly designed fence or miter slots.
You need a fencing system, miter slots, and a saw blade that are built to the tight tolerance needed to give you the kind of smooth cuts you would expect from a quality table saw.
An entry level woodworker is better off with the best starter table saw that comes with rack and pinion fence rails. They are exceptionally precise and super easy to adjust by simply turning a knob.
Quick and Easy Setup
One of the biggest challenges for any beginner is setting up a table saw for the first time. This process has a significant impact on the usage of a table saw.
It should be quick and easy for you to properly align the saw blade to the miter slots and fence. The best starter table saw blade has to be parallel to the miter slots and fence.
The winner of this roundup is the Dewalt DWE7485 Compact Table Saw. This is the overall best beginner table saw for beginners because of its good price point and quality performance.
You will be impressed by its compact size that’s super easy to store and transport. Not to mention the onboard storage for quick access to components.
This model also boasts a high star rating due to its easy adjustments. All of which are attributed to the fast, smooth, and accurate adjustments of the rack and pinion fence rails.
Overall, this product is of the ideal size for a beginner, it offers precise and smooth adjustments, and has minimum set-up requirements out of the box.