Last Updated: by
A bandsaw is one of the single most versatile tools you can have in your shop, which is the best tool for resawing and other woodwork.
Resawing boards into thinner strips on the bandsaw wastes very little wood, which makes it a good method to use when you need to cut laminates for bent lamination.
As much as this tool has proven to be quite effective, finding the best bandsaw for resawing isn’t entirely simple, considering the many brands you will come across.
I did a detailed research and I was able to find six products, which have proven to be very reliable during the various resawing tests I did.
The Best Resaw Bandsaws Are:
|1. Jet JWBS-14DXPRO 14” Deluxe Pro Bandsaw||Check Current Price|
|2. Rikon Power Tools 10-324 14” Open Stand Bandsaw||Check Current Price|
|3. WEN 3962 10” Tow-Speed Bandsaw||Check Current Price|
|4. Delta 28-400 14” Steel Frame Bandsaw||Check Current Price|
|5. Grizzly Industrial G0513ANV 17” Bandsaw||Check Current Price|
|6. Laguna Tools MBAND 14BX Bandsaw||Check Current Price|
1. Jet JWBS-14DXPRO 14” Deluxe Pro – Best Overall
Boasting innovative, updated design features that guarantee reliable precision, Jet JWBS-14DXPRO can take on the toughest resawing projects that measure up to twelve inches.
- Cast iron frame that boosts performance
- Sturdy table for tackling tough projects
- Reduced friction with lower and upper ball bearing
- Blade guide post and view window for safety
- A handy storage safe for organization
What I Like About Jet JWBS-14DXPRO
This machine comes with 1.25 horsepower, which drives powerful belt driven speeds of 1500 and 3000 feet per minute for effective resawing.
I really like how the motors are mounted on a lower housing, considering how easy it is to access the hardware for setting the belt tension.
The blade runs on a pair of precision cast machined and balanced cast-iron spoked wheels and both wheels turn on large sealed ball bearings.
What I Didn’t Like About Jet JWBS-14DXPRO
I was surprised that I couldn’t find the rip fence and a few pins during unboxing. This was a bit frustrating, considering the quality of the machine itself.
- Powerful motor that drives faster speeds
- Super easy belt tension adjustment
- Has a higher resawing capacity of up to 12 inches
- Cast iron frame increases strength and rigidity
- Enclosed storage offers more organization
- May miss a few accessories, such as the rip fence
The Jet JWBS-14DXPRO comes out of the box with plenty of power and all the features you want. Just pray you don’t receive a kit that misses a few parts.
Overall Rating: 4.6
2. Rikon Power Tools 10-324 14” Open Stand – Most Versatile
Rikon Power Tools 10-324 provides you with increased power, versatility, and cutting capacity at an entry-level price point.
- Thirteen-inch cutting capacity
- Precision guide bearing
- Two cutting speeds for customization
- Quick-release blade tension
- Hinged blade guard that is fitted with a sight window
What I Liked About Rikon 10-324
This tool has a convenient knob on the side that allows you to easily open both doors with just a twist of the knob, which allows easy access to the wheels.
There’s a 4-inch dust port on the back of the saw, which is great because it provides you with enough space for all of your dust sucking needs.
I really appreciate how the fence slides and locks very smoothly, considering how a wobbling fence can easily convert most of my wood to sawdust.
Another great feature is the small numbers printed on the guide rail, which indicate how many mistakes you are bound to make, depending on your project.
What I Didn’t Like About Rikon 10-324
It was quite heavy deadlifting the main unit onto the stand, which required me to be very creative to be able to lift the 175 pounds.
- Manual contains detailed instructions for adjustments
- Important installation tools included
- Spinning the wheel easily changes guide bar elevation
- Large dust port for sucking dust
- Accepts most styles of 111-inch long blades
- Difficult to lift main unit onto the stand
My initial impressions are very positive about the Rikon 10-324. For the features and the price point, you are not going to find a better deal than this one.
Overall Rating: 4.4
3. WEN 3962 10” Tow-Speed Bandsaw – Good Quality for Money
Introducing the WEN 3962, one of the most effective resawing tool for 2020. It is a super easy-to-adjust machine that runs at two speeds.
- Ball-bearing operation
- Adjustable fence that’s very versatile
- Onboard measuring guide
- 3-in-1 dust collection port
- Flexible LED work light
What I Like About WEN 3962
This tool features two-speed operation. You can conveniently run the blade at either 2620 or 1520 feet per minute with respect to your woodwork project.
I really like the variety of blade choices this tool is compatible with, considering that I might have another project apart from resawing that may need a thinner blade.
It has a well-built 3-in-1 dust port, which is great because it is compatible with a 4-inch, 2-3/4-inch, and 1-3/4-inch dust collection hoses.
You will certainly love the six inches of resawing capacity, which means you can easily resaw wood that has a thickness of up to six inches.
What I Didn’t Like WEN 3962
It had an issue with either the tension or the bearing because the blade kept on coming out of adjustment, which almost messed up my woodwork.
- Offers up to six inches of resawing capacity
- Easy to create straight cuts with the fence on
- Dust port that’s compatible with different dust extractor hoses
- Comes with a very spacious work table
- Resawing capacity can be increased with a 9-3/4-inch throat
- Blade may come out of adjustment due to poor tension or bearing
The cost to performance ratio of the WEN 3962 is impressive. It does everything the manufacturer claims, but you may face minor problems with the bearing or tension.
Overall Rating: 4.3
4. Delta 28-400 14” Steel Frame Bandsaw – Easiest to Adjust Guide Settings
Whether you want to resaw large wood pieces or work on your favorite woodwork project, Delta 28-400 is a reliable companion.
- Heavy-duty steel frame
- 1 horsepower, 2-speed motor
- Precision balanced spoked wheels
- Oversized precision ground cast iron table
- Big resawing capacity
What I Like About Delta 28-400
This product has five precision ball bearing blade guides, which is great because they ensure steady tracking for accurate resawing and cutting.
It has a remarkably large insert, which offers more visibility, allowing for easy adjustment of the lower guide settings.
I really appreciate the belt-driven power transfer, which is great considering how easy it is to adjust belt tension without the need for tools.
Another great feature is the big cutting capacity of up to 13-5/8-inch, which helps you work on large resawing projects.
What I Didn’t Like About Delta 28-400
It did the job right, but it wasn’t powerful enough to do the job faster. Also, the part that holds the roller bearings is fastened with a single bolt, which doesn’t promise stability.
- Durable steel frame ensures there’s less flexing
- Precision balanced spoked wheels allow for effective blade tracking
- No need of rack and pinion for raising or lowering blade guide
- Belt driven power transfer allows for smooth operation
- Easy to keep the blades clean with the available dust brush
- Misses a few handy features, such as blade tension indicator
The whole design is well-built and it performs pretty well for its price point. But could be better with additional design features.
Overall Rating: 4.2
5. Grizzly Industrial G0513ANV 17” Bandsaw – Biggest Resawing Capacity
G0513ANV Bandsaw brings to the table all the time-tested, heavy-duty features of the popular Grizzly Industrial bandsaw lineups.
- Powerful 2 horsepower, 2-speed motor
- Includes a precision ground cast ion table
- Effective belt-driven power transfer
- Heavy-duty aluminum fence for resawing
- Blade tension indicator window
What I Like About G0513ANV
This huge machine comes with 12 inches of resaw cutting capacity, which makes it one of the best bandsaw for resawing larger wood pieces.
It comes with a deluxe fence with a magnified window, which is great because it does a great job of dictating the specified width of the resawing.
You will love the micro-adjustable geared table, which helps to take on complex woodwork piece with precision.
Another good feature is the 16.25-inch throat capacity and oversized precision ground cast iron table, which provide you with ample clearance as well as support for your larger projects.
What I Didn’t Like About G0513ANV
I faced significant challenges with the blade guide construction. I had a few instances when the guides loosen up and fall under heavy use. It also appeared underpowered for resaw projects.
- Very effective belt-driven power transfer
- Large resawing capacity of up to 12 inches
- Deluxe fence performed highly during resawing
- Large throat capacity accommodates larger projects
- Perfect bandsaw size for a hobbyist
- May be somewhat underpowered for resaw projects
This is the ideal choice for those who love big machines. Not to mention that it is large enough of resawing huge wood pieces.
Overall Rating: 4.0
6. Laguna Tools MBAND 14BX Bandsaw – Most Optimal Blade Performance
Introducing Laguna Tools MBAND 14BX, one of Laguna’s best bandsaw for resawing. It is one of the fewer machines that will do the job right with less disappointments.
- Has a solid one-piece heavier gauge frame
- Convenient magnetic on-off switch
- Dual light mounting options
- Runs smoother with minimum vibration
- Provides up to 12 inches of resawing capacity
What I Like About MBAND 14BX
This tool is fitted with electronically and dynamically balanced cast iron wheels, which is great because they ensure vibration-free performance.
It has a very smooth and resourceful worm gear driven rack and pinion, which not only raises and lowers the blade guide, but it’s also engineered to stay within tolerances.
It comes with a quality aluminum, high-low fence, which easily changes positions for effective resawing and cutting.
Another great feature is the Laguna guides, which are engineered with no moving parts and ten ceramic inserts for optimum blade performance.
What I Didn’t Like About MBAND 14BX
I experienced a few challenges keeping the blades on the machine, and it reached a time when it overheated.
- Has a good resawing capacity
- Delivers a vibration-free performance
- High-low fence changes positions smoothly
- Quality guides guarantee optimal blade performance
- Easy to use on/off magnetic switch
- Blades may come out of alignment
It is one of the industry’s finest with good dust collection and great resawing power. But there may be a few design challenges that you have to put up with.
Overall Rating: 4.0
The bandsaw is the most convenient tool for cutting curves, but it can also crosscut and rip, as well as cut joints, compound shapes, and angles.
It is also the best way to resaw, a thick piece of wood into thinner pieces. Basically, it is one of the most versatile tools you can own.
It can do nearly everything a table saw can do, except cut grooves. It is also a friendly and relatively sate tool that doesn’t take up much space in your shop. You just have to choose the best bandsaw for resawing to guarantee yourself a high-quality and durable investment.
Here are the main factors that can help you choose the finest model:
What Size is Suitable?
Bandsaws are classified by the diameter of the flywheel. The ones with the smallest flywheel are benchtop bandsaws, which range from 8 to 12 inches.
All models with larger flywheels are all floor-standing machines that feature 14 to 24 inches wheel sizes.
Which Blade Works Best?
Bandsaw blades are available in three main tooth profiles: standard tooth, hook tooth, and skip tooth. The profile we recommend for resawing is the skip tooth.
The skip tooth profile has fewer teeth and wider angles. This increases gullet size, which helps to prevent clogging. It needs less feed pressure and cuts more aggressively.
There’s no arguing about this, resawing needs wider/thicker blades that can resist cutting pressure and would deflect less in the cut.
If I were you, I would simply avoid thinner blades with hook or standard tooth profiles.
Our overall best bandsaw for resawing is the Jet JWBS-14DXPRO 14” Deluxe Pro Bandsaw. This high-performing tool meets all the requirements of a hobbyist and a professional.
Its large resawing capacity of 13.5 inches can power through wood pieces of various sizes with ease. Also, working with larger or smaller pieces is easy with the retractable blade guard.
It is a highly versatile bandsaw that will always provide you with efficiency, precision, safety, and better organization for all your projects.
Now, you are more than equipped to engage the market. Just don’t compromise quality performance for a cheap price point. Sometimes it is worth paying the extra dollar.