You are probably used to the traditional woodcutting bandsaw. But did you know that there are new types of bandsaws that are specifically engineered for metal cutting?
They are popularly known as metal cutting bandsaws. They are very versatile because you can do just about anything with them.
These tools are mainly available in two unique styles: horizontal and vertical, but the most popular models on today’s market are horizontal.
Choosing the finest model may seem challenging, but I managed to find six best products that I have talked about in detail in the following metal cutting band saw reviews.
- Our Best Metal Cutting Band Saws Are:
- 1. Jet 414559 Metalworking Bandsaw – Best Horizontal Band Saw for Metal Cutting
- 2. Shop Fox M1014 Metal Cutting Bandsaw – Best Metal Band Saw for the Money
- 3. Jet 414560 Deluxe Metalworking Bandsaw – Most Versatile Design
- 4. Grizzly Industrial G0561 Metal Cutting Bandsaw – Most Durable Parts
- 5. Klutch Benchtop Metal Cutting Bandsaw – Best Bi-Metal Blade Type
- 6. HRT2 Horizontal/Vertical Metal Cutting Bandsaw – Most Versatile Horizontal Design
- Buying Guide
- Final Thoughts
Our Best Metal Cutting Band Saws Are:
|1. Jet 414559 Metalworking Bandsaw||Check Current Price|
|2. Shop Fox M1014 Metal Cutting Bandsaw||Check Current Price|
|3. Jet 414560 Deluxe Metalworking Bandsaw||Check Current Price|
|4. Grizzly Industrial G0561 Metal Cutting Bandsaw||Check Current Price|
|5. Klutch Benchtop Metal Cutting Bandsaw||Check Current Price|
|6. HRT2 Horizontal/Vertical Metal Cutting Bandsaw||Check Current Price|
1. Jet 414559 Metalworking Bandsaw – Best Horizontal Band Saw for Metal Cutting
Jet 414559 is a heavy-duty bandsaw that comes highly recommended for metalworking. But it is one of the heaviest metal cutting tools in the market.
- Flanged cast iron blade wheels
- 3/4-inch bi-metal blade
- Adjustable ball bearing blade guides
- Complete coolant system automatically shuts off after cutting
- Cast-mounted adjustable hydraulic downfeed
What I Like About Jet 414559
This quality metalworking tool comes with a 7-inch by 12-inch cutting capacity, which is great for working on large as well as small workpieces.
It features flanged cast-iron blade wheels, which have a flywheel effect and added inertia that helps propel the blade through a metal workpiece.
This model has a built-in quick-adjust vise, which allows for simple clamping for your metalworking projects.
Another great feature is the micro-adjustment material stop, which allows you to fine-tune the exact length for your cuts.
What I Didn’t Like About Jet 414559
The bandsaw coolant pump I received malfunctioned upon arrival, but I eventually figured out that there was a loose neutral connection. This was quite frustrating.
- Can be used horizontally and vertically
- Adjustable material stop allows for repeatability
- Has large rubber wheels for ease of movement
- Easy to cut at different angles with quick-adjust vise
- Well-built blade guides prevent the blade from wobbling
- Possible to receive a faulty coolant pump
This is heavy-duty machinery for metalworking. It comes equipped with all the crucial features. But Jet should make sure that the coolant system works before shipping.
Overall Rating: 4.5
2. Shop Fox M1014 Metal Cutting Bandsaw – Best Metal Band Saw for the Money
Introducing the Shop Fox M1014, a great metal cutting bandsaw for a production shop. It features both circular and rectangular cutting capabilities.
- 1 horsepower motor
- 2-1/2-inch cooling capacity
- Quick positioning vise
- Hydraulic feed control
- Automatic shutoff
What I Like About Shop Fox M1014
This product has large circular and rectangular cutting capacities at 90-degrees, which is great because you can work on both small and large workpieces.
This amazing machine has a small footprint of 13-inch by 38-inch accompanied by a portable base. The compact design makes it a perfect choice for a small shop.
It comes with a vertical cutting table with a miter slot, which is a great combination that allows you to work on jobs that require you to cut vertically.
I really appreciate the ball bearing blade guides that are located below and above the table, which do a good job of preventing the blades from wobbling or drifting.
What I Didn’t Like About Shop Fox M1014
It is a good metal cutting machine, but I didn’t like the maximum blade speed that comes with it, which was a little bit slower for me.
- Great circular and rectangular cutting capacities
- Easy to cut material vertically
- Blade guides ensure there is no wobbling or drifting of the blade
- Compact design that doesn’t take too much space
- Has a large coolant capacity
- Maximum blade speed is a bit slower
Shop Fox M1014 is a good choice for both hobbyists and professionals. I just wish the manufacturer could increase the maximum blade speed.
Overall Rating: 4.4
3. Jet 414560 Deluxe Metalworking Bandsaw – Most Versatile Design
Introducing Jet 414560, a heavy-duty metalworking bandsaw designed for small projects and production.
- 9-inch bandsaw blade
- Complete coolant system
- Improved width and height
- Auto shut-off after cutting
- 7-inch by 12-inch cutting capacity
What I Like About Jet 414560
This product has a large 10-inch by 12-inch infeed table assembly, which does not only extend the working area, but also provides you with vertical and horizontal cutting positions.
It comes with multi-position guides for the blades, which help enhance vertical positioning by increasing the cutting capacity from four to 14-inch.
This machine has a tool-free quick lock and release vise accompanied by 15°, 30°, and 45° preset mitering positions.
Another great feature is the complete coolant system that is made of cast-mounted adjustable hydraulic down feed, which helps to keep the material and the blade cool.
What I Didn’t Like About Jet 414560
I didn’t like the small size of the spill tray. It could not effectively collect all the lube I used for lubricating the blade. It made a mess on the shop floor.
- Has a big infeed table setup
- Bi-metal blade provides more cutting versatility
- Cast-iron blade wheels are highly durable
- Quality bandsaw coolant keeps the material and blade cool
- Machine shuts off automatically after cutting
- Collection tray is small and may mess your floor
This metalworking bandsaw is a solid cutting machine, which you can use both in the horizontal and vertical positions. But it could be better with a larger collection tray.
Overall Rating: 4.2
4. Grizzly Industrial G0561 Metal Cutting Bandsaw – Most Durable Parts
Introducing Grizzly Industrial G0561, a large capacity metal cutting bandsaw that is not only mobile, but it also has a small footprint.
- 158, 213, and 308 FPM Gear Step Blade Speeds
- All Steel One-Piece Base
- Adjustable Blade Guides
- Adjustable Hydraulic Down Feed
- Quick-Release Vise
What I Like About Grizzly Industrial G0561
It runs on a 1-1/2 horsepower motor, which generates powerful blade speeds (158, 213, and 308 FPM) for effective cutting.
This product has strong cast-iron wheels with long-lasting ball bearings, which is great because the added weight of cast-iron helps to improve cutting performance.
It has adjustable blade guides, which are skillfully engineered to keep the blade from wobbling back and forth when working on a metallic workpiece.
This tool features a quick-release vise that will hold your workpiece firmly in place and releases it quickly once you are done cutting.
What I Didn’t Like About Grizzly Industrial G0561
I had problems maintaining blade tension after blade replacement. I don’t know why the blade kept coming out, but this problem was surely frustrating.
- Allows for safe vertical cuts
- Variable speeds improve versatility
- Coolant nozzle helps to keep the blade cool
- Quick setting and release vise
- Auto shut-off feature improves safety
- May fail to maintain blade tension
This is a fairly decent bandsaw for metal cutting hobbyists and professionals. But it is not the fastest model, in case you are looking for higher surface feet per minute.
Overall Rating: 4.0
5. Klutch Benchtop Metal Cutting Bandsaw – Best Bi-Metal Blade Type
Klutch Benchtop Metal Cutting Bandsaw is what you should look for, if you want a quality compact model that will cut non-ferrous metal with ease.
- 3-inch to 4.1-inch rectangular cutting capacity
- 3-inch round cutting capacity
- Bi-metal blade
- Precise miter cutting capabilities
- Quick positioning vise
What I Like About Klutch
It has a powerful 1-1/2-inch motor that draws directly from 120V power supply, which delivers powerful output for superior cutting.
The bi-metal blade is made of strong material that offers outstanding continuous operation properties and has greater wear resistance in demanding applications.
It comes with quick-positioning and quick-release vise, which holds materials firmly in the ideal cutting position for effective operation.
It has an automatic shut-off switch, which interrupts power and stops the blade from rotating in case of accidental breakage.
What I Didn’t Like About Klutch
The one I got didn’t have a coolant nozzle for distributing heat away from the cutline or help prevent friction. I had to stop at some point to allow the blade to cool down.
- Compact and easy to move around
- Quick-positioning vise improves cutting position
- Bi-metal blades have high cutting edge stability
- Automatic shutoff ensures safer operation
- Good rectangular and round cutting capacity
- Does not have a coolant nozzle
This is a compact metal cutting bandsaw that is suitable for a small shop. It has strategically positioned controls that are easy to use.
Overall Rating: 4.0
6. HRT2 Horizontal/Vertical Metal Cutting Bandsaw – Most Versatile Horizontal Design
Do you want a tool that will cut through a range of metallic materials? The HRT2 bandsaw is what you should be looking for.
- Three speed settings
- Quick-adjust vise
- Two-position rocker switch
- Adjustable blade guides
What I Like About HRT2
This product comes with a powerful 1 horsepower motor, which is a great feature because it produces high speed for cutting through steel and aluminum.
It features three speed settings, which means you can adjust the speed with respect to your application.
It has a beveling vise, which offers a firm grasp on the material you are cutting, allowing you to produce angled cuts from zero to sixty degrees.
This saw also features fully adjustable blade guides and ball bearing supported blade wheels for added longevity and durability.
What I Didn’t Like About HRT2
I didn’t like the quality of the stand. It is flimsy and I had to reinforce it somehow to improve the overall stability of the machine. Ryobi 9 bandsaw has good stability for a bandsaw
- Has a powerful motor for cutting through steel
- Variable speed improves versatility
- Beveling vise allows for angled cuts
- Adjustable blade guides maintain blade stability
- Compact size does not take too much space
- Comes with a flimsy stand
Apart from the flimsy stand construction, the HRT2 Horizontal/Vertical Metal Cutting Bandsaw is a reliable choice for cutting different types of materials.
Overall Rating: 4.0
Metal cutting bandsaws can be operated at different speeds, starting at 50 SFPM. Some of the machines are equipped with a hydraulic feed, which boasts a low feeding pressure. Successful operation with a metal cutting bandsaw depends mostly on the following:
- Choosing the correct saw blade
- Running the bandsaw at the correct speed
- Feeding the work to the saw at the correct rate
Here are a few important factors that I insist you take into consideration when shopping for the best horizontal band saw.
This is one of the most important considerations. A metalworking bandsaw features two cutting capacities: circular and rectangular at 90-degree and 45-degree angles.
The larger the two numbers are, the more capable the bandsaw is for cutting larger metallic workpieces.
A fixed speed bandsaw will not be helpful when working with metal. As a professional, I find variable speed bandsaws to be the most effective ones.
With variable speed settings, you can conveniently choose a specific setting that works for the project you are working on.
A typical metal cutting bandsaw would have variable speed, ranging from 80 to 300 surface feet per minute. This greatly improves customization and versatility.
Bandsaw coolant: The metal cutting band saw must have a decent coolant capacity. This will help to drive heat away from the blade and workpiece, improving efficiency.
Quick lock vise: A good vise that locks and releases quickly allows you to strategically position your workpiece for angle and precision cutting.
After this detailed analysis, our overall best horizontal band saw is the Jet 414559 Metalworking Bandsaw. It is a very versatile model that can be operated horizontally and vertically.
This product features the finest features, including large cutting capacity, variable speed settings, large coolant capacity, and adjustable material stop.
This product has a very rigid and durable body. Also, the whole machine has a small footprint that will not consume too much space in your shop.
Generally, I insist you look for a model that doubles as a horizontal and vertical bandsaw with a large cutting capacity, variable speed, and auto shut-off.