Last Updated: by
Use a track saw if you want to create more precise cuts at a faster speed. Compared to a table saw or a circular, it offers more portability and lightweight features. Setup is also fairly easier with this type of saw.
We can help you find a good track saw that will be in heavy rotation in your tool kit. We made sure to only choose the most reliable ones with the advanced features that will make cutting work a cinch.
Best Track Saw Reviews
After meticulous inspections, here are the track saws we deem the most ideal:
- Festool TS 55 REQ Track Saw
- Shop Fox W1835 Track Saw
- WEN 36055 Plunge Cut Circular Track Saw
- Triton TTS1400 Plunge Track Saw
Let’s delve deeper into the features of these track saws:
For the most demanding woodwork projects, you need something as heavy-duty as this one from Festool. With the help of its guide rail, you cut with utmost precision, eliminating the possibility of splints and tear out cuts. As a result, you get professional quality cuts and prevent wasting valuable material.
One of its remarkable features is its spring-loaded riving knife. It reduces kickbacks and provides full control over the tool by allowing the cut kerf to remain open and veering the material you are working on away from the blade’s rear. The two cursor lines is integrated in its micro-adjustable depth function, so there is only precision when using this tool.
- This is easily the most reliable track saw out there. It gets the job done and it produces the straightest cuts free from annoying and unsightly splinter. Professional woodworkers can cut down the amount of time they need polishing their work with the help of this track saw.
- There is minimal kickback with this tool, thanks to the spring-loaded riving knife. It prevents the material from pinching the tool’s blade by allowing the cut kerf to remain open.
- Changing blades is a breeze with its FastFix system. It locks both the switch and the arbor in one go, making way for faster arbor bolt removal.
- It is quite a compact machine. It does a lot of cutting jobs, so you don’t need to buy other tools anymore.
- The guide rail allows even novice users to get precise cuts all the time. It can cut through the toughest of hardwood such as Brazilian Teak.
- There are no clamps included. You might have to buy them separately.
- The price can also put off many people.
If woodworking is a hobby and not a profession, you most likely can get away with something as light duty as this one from Shop Fox. It has an accessible price tag and features that don’t disappoint even when you are a professional. With its 9A and 120 Volt of power, you can get more juice out of this tool. It has 5500 RPM speed, which means it can help simplify and speed up your cutting job.
The included blade size is 160mm in diameter and has a rim speed of 9070 feet per minute. It also already includes a 1-1/2 inch dust port that will connect easily to your shop vacuum. At 90D with rail, it has a maximum cutting depth of 1-31/32 inches and without rail, it can accommodate 2-5/32 inches.
- It is an affordable track saw that still offers a lot of durability. It creates precise cuts with minimal effort.
- Safety is paramount with this track saw as it features an anti-kickback protection system. It also helps you control your unit without too much effort.
- It doesn’t require rigorous setup. You basically can use it right out of the box. Some said they were able to save so much time with this compared to the previous setup they were using.
- This unit allows you to create straight and plunge cuts. When using the plunge mechanism, it reduces flip-up blade guards. It also prevents the blade from pinching the material through the riving knife.
- It is fairly easy to use. Many said it is their first time using it to cut down on costs of flooring installation and they were able to use it without a hitch.
- It comes with a 2-year warranty.
- There are two small tracks that you need to piece together instead of just one track.
Incorporated with a 9-amp motor, this affordable track saw is a powerful one that can help you with a myriad of your cutting projects. The 6-1/4-inch blade integrated in this tool has a maximum rotation capacity of 5500 RPM per minute, allowing you to tackle those thicker types of woods effortlessly.
Although it isn’t as expensive as the others, it still has a lot of helpful features such as the self-retracting riving knife, the depth adjustment stop, the swiveling dust port and the ability to bevel for angles up to 45 degrees.
- This tool allows you to cut with precision. It slides through the materials with ease, thanks to the slotted grooves of its base. Users did not experience splinters.
- You can make plunge cuts with this. You can cut through wood as deep as 2-5/32 inches. It allows you to control how deep you want the plunge cuts to be.
- The self-retracting riving knife prevents kickbacks from happening. You can saw without experiencing kickbacks that happen when the material gets lodged in the tool.
- You can make angled cuts with this saw as it can be beveled for up to 45 degrees. It will allow you to make angled cuts on wood materials with 1-5/8 inches of thickness. Many users said they had a much easier time adjusting depth and angles with this track saw.
- The built-in dust port can be swiveled 360 degrees to keep up with your demands.
- The included rail and the entire saw are lighter than the others they have tried before.
- If you have had a track saw before, you will notice that the sliding strips of this one are a bit farther apart compared to others. This actually gives this track saw more stability.
- This unit is backed by a 2-year warranty.
- The blade the came with it isn’t that sharp, so many had to replace it with a better one. The stock blade just didn’t cut it.
You are getting the tool only with this saw. You might need to get the recommended tracks, which are the TTSTP or TTST1500 tracks separately. But despite that, it is not lacking when it comes to versatility. Setup is a breeze as there are no complex parts that need to be assembled. You can make clean and precise cuts all the time. It comes with a mode selector so you can choose from scribe, free plunge and blade change mode, whatever is needed when you are working with it.
It boasts of stability, thanks to its rear bevel and dual front quadrants. The dual alignment cams also work in tweaking the settings of the base on the track. With this, you will get professional results all the time.
- This is a cordless track saw that operates on batteries, so you are no encumbered by bothersome cords.
- It has a soft start function, so you won’t get startled the first time you crank it open.
- Every cut it makes is precise. There are no annoying splinters to deal with. You can also do plunge cuts.
- Changing blades is easy through its blade change mode. Included in its mode switch are plunge and scribe modes.
- It is completely safe to use. The variable speed setting allows you to find the best speed for your needs. It also features an overload protection.
- It works right to the edge of what you are working on. This is why it is an ideal choice for cutting hardwood floors.
- The dust extraction system is well-designed. Through its included universal vacuum system adapter, you can hook it up to existing vacuum. The low profile guard also makes way for 90% of dust extraction.
- It doesn’t come with a track. You will have to spend more money to get the recommended one.
Which Track Saw is Right for You?
Best Choice: Festool TS 55 REQ Track Saw. Everything you are looking for in a track saw is in this one from Festool. It cuts with precision, it is easy to use, it is handy, and it is safe to use. The only downside is that it is quite expensive but if you are doing a lot of woodworking project and you are tired of always seeing splinters on your work, you should definitely invest in this tool instead.
Best for the Occasional Woodworker: Shop Fox W1835 Track Saw. Even when you only need a track saw every once in a while for your projects, you should still look for something reliable and powerful. This tool fits the bill. It might not be for heavy-duty woodwork, but it still can be relied on for a variety of light projects. It is quite affordable and still provides nifty and useful features that can help you produce clean results.
Most Affordable: WEN 36055 Plunge Cut Circular Track Saw. This is a more affordable track saw but it doesn’t skimp when it comes to features. It is still capable of doing precise cuts without leaving splinters behind. The safety features you can find in other products are in place with this one. You will like how stable it is and how easy it is to manipulate because of how compact and lightweight it is. All in all, a good value for your money.
Easiest to Use: Triton TTS1400 Plunge Track Saw. This is a user-friendly choice because it is cordless. You can easily maneuver it without the cumbersome cord. It also has a lot of features that make cutting with this a cinch.
Some Important Considerations When Buying a Track Saw
We don’t want you to regret your buying decision. That said, here are a few important considerations you need to make when buying a track saw:
Speed. Go for something with a variable speed setting and has a high RPM. A variable speed setting allows you to find the right speed that you are comfortable with. If you want to go slower in order to create neat and precise cuts, you can do so with this feature. But if you are an expert who wants to cut down the amount of time needed for the job, you would want to make sure that it has a high speed setting and it has a lot of amperage for various applications.
Ease of Usage. Track saws are known for their ease of usage compared to other types of saws like a table saw or a circular saws. But despite its intrinsic user friendliness, also make sure you look for features that make the track easier to use. You don’t want the material to snag in the tool, thereby causing a kickback.
Make sure it is as easy to use as the best miter saws we suggested in here.
Powerful. How thick are the woods you often cut? Make sure it can cut through the hardest wood or has the power to accommodate a variety of cutting need. The higher the amperage, the more powerful it is. Of course, more powerful track saws are usually more expensive, so make sure you get the power that will cater to your specific needs. If you always work with tougher and harder woods, spend a bit more money on a powerful unit. Power in a saw is usually more but if you need something to grind stuff then try this 4 1/2 angle grinder.
Price. Set aside a reasonable budget for it. Find a good budget that will make sure you will get a good and high-quality product.
Saw horses. That sheet of wood that you’re cutting needs some kind of support. You can lay it across at least a couple of sawhorses, depending on how big your sheet is.
Other Kinds of Saws
Track saws are great for cutting up large sheets of wood to smaller pieces for easier transport, or to the sizes you need them to be for your woodworking project. But for other cutting requirements, other materials and thicknesses, you may need other tools. Check out these posts to learn about other saws, what they are for, and what the best products are.
- The Best Pole Saws
- The Best Tile Saws
- The Best Scroll Saws
- The Best Table Saws
- The Best Hybrid Table Saws
We can help you find more tools for seamless work on your projects. Do check out our website for more information, buying guides and product recommendations. With our product reviews, you will know which tools are more suitable for your projects.