Last Updated: by
The accuracy and maneuverability of the scroll saw often makes this an indispensable tool in any artist or crafter’s woodworking arsenal. It offers a multitude of benefits that we will further discuss and elaborate below. If you are here, you are probably looking for the best scroll saw that can get those intricate woodworking details done with minimal resistance. You came to the right place because we have the best recommendations when it comes to scroll saws.
We checked out the best ones out there and looked for those equipped with the features and functions that most people look for in a scroll saw and those that can bring safety, efficiency and accuracy to the table.
Best Scroll Saws
Here are the scroll saws you should set your sights on:
- DEWALT DW788 1.3 Amp 20-Inch Variable Speed Scroll Saw
- Delta Power Tools 40-694 20-Inch Variable Speed Scroll Saw
- Dremel MS20-01 Moto-Saw Variable Speed Compact Scroll Saw Kit
- Shop Fox W1713 16-Inch Variable Speed Scroll Saw
Take a look at what these scroll saws can offer:
1. DEWALT DW788 1.3 Amp 20-Inch Variable Speed Scroll Saw
Professional, intermediate and adventurous beginners should get this 20-inch Dewalt scroll saw that not just boasts of accuracy but also of vibration-free and quiet operations. Unlike other scroll saws that have blades that are difficult to change, this one has a tool-free blade clamp that will allow users to quickly switch in the blade they want to work with.
This DEWALT has a superb vibration-reducing capability. It features a double parallel-link arm design that improves work output and minimizes the amount of vibration produced by the scroll saw. You can also work minus all that noise because of how well it disperses extra vibration and movements.
Working on those more intricate patterns and cuts? This can be relied on for such purposes. It allows users full control over the blade, thanks to its nearly vibration-free mechanism. It has a cutting depth of 2 inches that allow users to work with different materials.
- It comes complete with easy-to-use features such as a liftable arm, power switch and saw adjustment feature.
- It has a low vibration.
- The table is made from cast-iron material for longevity. It also has a big size that can accommodate bigger materials. It bevels either left or right as well, offering more flexibility of use.
- The variable speed control is a great function. You can work with different materials because you can choose the speed easily.
- The controls are easy to reach. The dust blower is also accessible, so you can direct it in areas where some dusting off is needed.
- It is compact and lightweight without feeling flimsy. It still has a heavy-duty and a well-constructed feel to it.
- This unit comes with a 3-year limited warranty.
- The price tag might be a bit hefty for some. There was also a customer who complained about the consistency of the work output of this scroll saw.
2. Delta Power Tools 40-694 20-Inch Variable Speed Scroll Saw
This tool is a product of Delta’s 90 years of experience and expertise in making equipment for woodworking. With a variable speed setting from 400 to 1750 SPM, a stroke length of ¾ inch and a left and right 0 degrees to 45 degrees table tilt, this is a scroll saw that can accommodate your various cutting needs.
- This unit comes with an impressive 5-year limited warranty. That is longer than many warranties offered by other companies.
- A lot of customers commended its comparatively quieter functions. The vibration is a lot less compared to others and there isn’t a lot of excess movements with the blade. As a result, you are getting more precise results with your cutting.
- It has effortless blade positioning and changing system. The upper arm can be lifted up and then locked for more seamless removal and replacement of blade. There is also no need to buy extra tools to allow quick blade changes.
- It features an on-tool blade storage area. It keeps your workspace organized and also prevents extra blades from getting lost.
- The manual leaves something to be desired. The saw takes a bit more time and effort to assemble and the instructions in the manual doesn’t cover all the steps.
3. Dremel MS20-01 Moto-Saw Variable Speed Compact Scroll Saw Kit
The versatility of this Dremel Scroll Saw Kit is what makes this an ideal choice, especially for more experienced woodworkers and contractors who might be looking for an all-in-one cutting tool. It cuts a variety of materials including wood, plexiglass, PVC, laminate and metal. It also has adjustable functions that allow for a customized way to operate this saw.
- This is actually a very affordable scroll saw kit. For its price, you will be amazed with the many things it can do. It can actually give the more expensive scroll saws out there a run for their money.
- One of its more remarkable features is its ability to cut different types of materials. From flexible materials to sturdy and unforgiving ones like metal and wood, this should accommodate your various cutting needs.
- This can be used as a stationary scroll saw or a portable motorized coping saw, thanks to the coping mechanism that you can detach.
- Avoid too much vibrations with its Auto-Tensioning Quick Change. You can change the blades with ease and find the right tension level, so you can cut without doing some major tweaking to its setting. A lot of people also commend its low vibration that is comparable to that of a sewing machine.
- It doesn’t come with its own table, but it has a clamp base that can be attached to different surfaces such as tables and benches.
- There were just a few issues with malfunctioning parts such as the switch occasionally not turning but it can be rectified by its warranty.
4. Shop Fox W1713 16-Inch Variable Speed Scroll Saw
Not too expensive but not too cheap, this scroll saw is just at the right price range for people who want both quality and affordability. It boasts of extra cutting prowess and capacity and a rigid cast iron construction to serve you for many more years to come. Its variable speed control settings work well with the various cutting needs of professional and beginner woodworkers and contractors.
- This is a solid scroll saw built to last. Its cast iron construction is durable and resistant to wear and tear. You can subject it to harsh conditions and it will still serve you well.
- This scroll saw also boasts of a large table for more cutting capacity. The table has a tilt function. You can cut in different angles – from 0 to 45 degrees.
- It is compatible with both a plain and pin-end blade. Changing blade is easy as it comes with the adapters needed to get the job done.
- It is easy to work with. The hold down shoe is completely adjustable, and this works in preventing the workpiece from getting out of place when the blade moves.
- There is no template included for mounting it. That said, you might find it more difficult to mount on surfaces.
Why Should You Get a Scroll Saw?
You probably have different types of saws by now, so why should you go and get a scroll saw? There are actually certain benefits to using a scroll saw and here are some of them:
1. It is a very flexible, accurate and accommodating type of saw.
The scroll saw has a smaller cutting capacity, so it is typically used for smaller things such as cutting joints or curves. However, these saws are also equipped with a variable speed motor that allow users to completely control the blade to accommodate more woodwork needs. They are also able to work more on a tilting table.
It has more accuracy and speed than that of its hand-operated counterparts. Its variable speed control allows the scroll saw to perform with less vibrations and noise than your standard saw. Because of that, it allows for more efficient and accurate cutting. You can avoid under or over cutting with the help of this nifty tool.
2. You can cut more intricate patterns with the help of this saw.
It works similar to a jigsaw, but you can do even more detailed work with it as it has even smaller blades and even less vibration.
3. The end result requires no sanding.
Thanks to its miniscule radius curves, you can create all those intricate patterns you have in mind. You can make cuts inside the wood surface or at the perimeters. You can always sand for more polished results, but this scroll saw creates smoother results.
4. The results look high quality.
If you are mass producing wood projects for your business, it makes sense to add a scroll saw to your tools. That is because it is capable of producing the best cutting results, which can end up giving your projects a more high-end quality to it.
The scroll saw makes accomplishing your woodwork projects less stressful and more enjoyable.
5. The price for the scroll saw is also quite accessible.
Even new woodworkers can get one without breaking the bank.
6. You can use your scroll saw in conjunction with other types of saws.
Remember that scroll saws are for more intricate and delicate work. For speed and power and anything large scale, look to other types of saws (check our roundups here, here, and here). You can break down large pieces of wood and make the rough cuts, while leaving the finer detailed work to your scroll saw. And if you’re working with tile for your project, here are our favorite tile saws.
Factors to Consider to Find the Best Scroll Saw That Fits Your Needs
It’s about knowing what features will work for you. That is how you can find the best scroll saw. To do that, you need to take the following factors into consideration:
Budget. The first thing you should do is set a budget. How much is a reasonable price for you? Of course, the higher your budget range is, the more likely you are to find scroll saws with more sophisticated features. However, you can still find that sweet spot between quality and price, so make sure you set a reasonable budget that will not compromise the features you can get in the scroll saw.
Blade Type. When it comes to choosing a scroll saw, one of the most important things to think over is what blade type to go for. Since most scroll saws today can only use one type of blade at a time, you should think about whether to go for a pinhead blade or a flat blade.
A pinhead blade is much easier to take in out if you need to replace it. Unfortunately, there aren’t a lot of varieties out there. Also, these aren’t exactly the best when it comes to turning or cutting smaller and more intricate curves.
The flat blade is more challenging to change in the middle of your work, but this comes in different varieties. These are also highly recommended if you work in tight spaces. It can accommodate a wider range of woodwork projects.
Speed. Check the SPM or Strokes Per Minute. The basic ones have a speed setting of about 400-800 SPM while the higher-end ones can also have higher speed settings of 1,200-1,800 SPM. What you should choose will depend on the kind of wood material you are working with. If you work frequently with hardwood, you might need something with a higher speed setting. Of course, you can always go the extra mile and spend a bit more money on one with a variable speed setting.
Throat Size. The throat size is how long the back of the blade is to the scroll saw back. This will determine how big a material you can cut. It can accommodate materials twice its length, so the longer the throat size, the bigger and the more materials you can work using it.
Table Tilt. The tilt angle is crucial in how easy it is to use. In some cases, it can only tilt to one side – either just a left or a right tilt but there are also those scroll saws that have a double-sided tilt. You would want to look for those.
So which scroll saw should you get?
Premium Build for a Premium Price: DEWALT DW788 1.3 Amp 20-Inch Variable Speed Scroll Saw. If you are a professional or an avid DIY-er and you expect to use a scroll saw a lot, get this one. It is made from durable material that can hold up well against a high level of usage.
Tool for Convenience: Delta Power Tools 40-694 20-Inch Variable Speed Scroll Saw. Never waste time replacing or changing blades and never lose your blades again with this convenient machine that makes it easier for the woodworker to perform their daily job well.
Versatile Tool: Dremel MS20-01 Moto-Saw Variable Speed Compact Scroll Saw Kit. This might be cheap, but it does pack a punch when it comes to features. If you like more flexibility and versatility, this is a good choice for you.
Best Value: Shop Fox W1713 16-Inch Variable Speed Scroll Saw. This scroll saw is the best choice if you are looking for something that is easy to use. It has a fairly reasonable price range. With the combination of rigid construction and advanced functionality, this can be an ideal choice for different kinds of woodworkers.
We recommend checking out our homepage for some more tips and buying guides on the various cutting tools for woodworking out there.